Critique Before and after the glass dish was broken

My friend brought her delicious chocolate mousse for dessert. Fortunately, she broke the serving dish after we ate rather than before. She was just one step away from putting the pieces in the trash can when I reminded her that I photograph broken glass. Ironically, nobody has provided me nearly as much unbroken glass to photograph as she has.

Setup for both images
The tabletop is black presentation board and the background is black velvet. The background filled the frame, no more and no less. A large circular diffuser was immediately behind the background. A medium continuous-light lamp behind the diffuser and background faced the subject and camera. That lighting outlined the glass in bright tones. The image was desaturated to eliminate colors created by prismatic refraction, which is one of the few situations when converting using a color filter provides no advantage.

To suspend the two broken pieces, the shards were stuck by museum wax to the end of small sticks of wood. The other end of each stick was taped to a block of wood. Those extraneous materials that suspended the shards were eliminated during post-processing.

Before
Mike 2019-11-14--006-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After
Mike 2019-11-14--005-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Another suspicious example of glassware getting broken "accidentally" with Mike already setup ready to take a pic.
I hope you don't get rumbled soon Mike, as the images are really cool.

Thank you also to Walter, Wade and Dayo.

Another suspicious example of glassware getting broken "accidentally" with Mike already setup ready to take a pic.
I wasn't already setup, though I do concede that this setup requires very little time in my makeshift studio. Even so, I'm always happy to be the source of your conspiracy theories, even when I'm all alone with no cohorts to conspire with. Come to think of it, I should search out some co-conspirators.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom