Before and after

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Dec 30, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

This was for fun

Hope you like.

All the best.

As always, help and advice appreciated

Ray

original

[​IMG]

A bit of fun

[​IMG]

2. Well, that sure looks like fun. Good job on this, but if you allow one suggestion - I would feather the sharp edge of the illuminated slope in front of the mountain scenery. Looks a bit too obvious that the background has been replaced.

Somehow I think that you intentionally produce Blah shots so that you can have some fun modifying them afterwards :smile: .

Cheers

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Harry,
    I think your right. Takes a great eye to be able to take an image and see the final with adjustments.

Ray ,
    Harrys suggestion is good now that I look.

I was almost going to ask you where did you see mountains :>)))
    So thats how you do snow on a mountain. Wonderous person you are. :>))

This image is FANTASTIC.......

Keep them coming Ray......

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Very cleverly done :Shocked:

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Some adjustments

Hi

Following advice here and other forums I have made the following changes.

Removed the left hand boat as some felt it distracting and the submersed effect was of concern

removed the invasive large trees to allow a view through to the mountains

made the transition between the near and far mountains less pronounced -feathered the meeting point

removed the red around the image and replaced with a more appropriate colour from within the image

Be interested to know if you feel the changes work

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Answered in other post Ray.

Now it is just the Best....

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice processing, Ray.

8. Nice processing, Ray. I see you finally gave Gale her "snowy peaks'! For some reason, when I look at your second version, my eye wants to follow the wooden jetty right out of the picture. I think the focal point should be the snowy peak off in the distance.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Virginia - your wish is my command!!!!

All the best

Ray

ps I think you are right!!!!

[​IMG]

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol He moved it...

PS is fun when you know how.
    Good work all the time Ray.

Just make a wish and Ray can make it come true..Now how great is that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Except those lottery numbers I asked for :>)))

11. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Ray, have you been subscribing to 'Digital Photo'?

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Rob

No, never heard of it.

Is it worth a look please?

All the best

Ray

13. Love your final. Nice looking image.

14. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Ray, Digital Photo is generally rated as the best Magazine for digital camera users. It has a sister publication Practical photography, which is probably better for film users.
    Digital Photo recently had a tutorial where they placed a small wooden pier on a lake scene and then manipulated the background. How is your ESP these days?:eek:

http://www.photographymags.co.uk/

15. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    OK Ray,

I have just read my way through this thread, and would like to make a suggestion. I agree with Virginia about the jetty. BUT, I was surprised to see your new version with the jetty moved. What I had expected was that you would turn the jetty (CCW) to have it point at the mountain, and leave the back (bottom) of the jetty anchored where it was.

Regards

16. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    John

Now why oh why didn't I think of that???????:confused:

It seems to sit better to the right as the original but would be better with the suggestion you have made.

Must give it a try.

Many thanks for the idea - nice one John!!

All the best

Ray

17. Very good Ray. Wish there was a short tutorial on how but it must have taken more than a short one. I really like it.
    Pete

18. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Pete, I think, and I mean think, I'm not sure. I may be able to PM or email the start photo and additional photos plus tutorial to you. That's if the system allows me. Stand by.

19. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    No can do..........................

Hi John

Many thanks for the idea - I already posted to say I thought it was a good one.

Bit tricky because the boat and jetty are one image; as the jety turns so does the boat and the perspective is lost.

Ok, I suppose I could mess with the perspective or create two images but I am not sure how it would turn out or if I am up to it PS wise.

I will try and give it a go but I think I may struggle a little.....if you have any ideas I would be grateful John.

Very best wishes

Ray