Before and after...

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Jul 26, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have never posted my final print version of an image. Usually the images I post are simply processed and added to my web page.

You may remember a post for Uncle Frank regarding a sample with the 105 f2 DC. This is the image that I posted as a sample. Very poor mixed lighting, and handheld. This is the only image of my wife she has ever allowed me to post. Ever!

[​IMG]

This is my printed version. Printed with an Epson R1800 on Epson Enhanced Matte at 12" x 18". All comments are welcome.....

[​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Whoa! great use of color - her eyes are hypnotic. It took me a while befor I noticed the gold (although I did notice it on the original.) Your crop is very artistic too. Te curve of the curl on her forehead gets picked up by her nose, then her chin, finally fallinginto her neckline. Excellent photo. I would have extended the crop a bit to the left though, to get the hair curves around her neck to show off her jawline. That part is very sexy.

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Chris. I looked at the wider crop as well but that took some of the attention from her eyes. It would also mean that the eyes were not on thirds, and we can't break the rules. :lol:

There is a hidden meaning in the color. "In my eyes she is golden". Sounds corny, but sometimes the emotion behind the image means more than all of its qualities combined.

4. This is a great shot and I love the pose and the crop. I am offering this as constructive critisizm so please do not take it the wrong way. I am not sure I like the irises to stand out that much from the face. It is a bit eery. I think this shot would be better recieved by a view or at least by me if it were all black and white. I think it is great to experiment and I like the use of color on black and white but maybe not in this case.

Again this is one man's opinion only and I appreciate it when others tell me their honest opinions of my shots. I have learned much from constructive critisizm of other. Hope you don't mind. I am sure that many will love this shot. It has many wonderful redeeming qualities.

Scott

5. Nice use of selective color I bet it looks great

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Scott,

We are all here on the Cafe to learn from one another. The quality of photographers, both image and personal, here makes it a great place to have my attempts critiqued. I am a "newbie" to this hobby, and when someone here reviews, I listen. To see my images through your eyes, helps me improve my vision.

Remember this is a printed version. The saturation in my print is not like what is on the screen. The amount of color in the print is just right. Enough that you notice the color but not so much that it is the only thing you see.

Thanks for the critique.

7. Hey Charles, creative use of color. Like the crop. You have tell your wife to come out of the closet (photographically speaking) she looks great.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Update for Chris101

Do you like this better Chris?

29912177-L.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah, the crop is more symmetrical, and shows off her jawline, makes her face look narrower than when it was left to run off the page. The focus is great - the eyes and bracelet stand out, not just because you've left these colored, but the f/2 focus plane cuts through them.

Now, if you are not opposed to a bit of radical photoshopping, her hair at her right (left to us) temple is also in focus, but for no reason. You can try the lens blur tool locally (use a layer mask) there so only the two parts you are wanting to direct our eyes to are in focus.

None-the-less, it's a great portrait. I hope you're planning on framing this for your office desk (or where ever you will have it at work.) I'm glad your wife is finally liking it - perhaps she'll become your model after all!

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks again Chris. She likes this crop better as well, and says that it makes her look thinner. I will look at PS'n the hair. After the print was done I thought about blurring the hair. :roll:

It may take her a while before she will model for me. This has peeked my intrest in doing environmental type portraiture though. I can't remember her ever being so relaxed in front of a camera. Now I am researching people like Joe McNally and Dave Black, for thier use on Nikon's CLS. Time for experiments and new toys. :D

11. Charles,

I love how you processed the second shot!! Well done my friend!! :D :D :D

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I enjoyed this image from capture to print. Perhaps I have found a style. Perhaps?

Thanks PhotoDawg.