Before I call Apple SOS?

I have a new (this year) iMac 27. Recently the blue tooth keyboard was connecting, reconnecting, connecting....
I can no longer get it to pair at all or even be found unless I hardwire it. The batteries are 100% charged and it will be found and discovered/paired via BTooth on an older Mac so I know the keyboard blue tooth is working. Any ideas before I call Apple? I could care less that a keyboard on a desktop is hard wired. In the end I'd rather live with the thing wired than start taking it in..
Just bugs me when something doesn't work is all.

Also I ordered this one with the 500 GB Flash as it's hard drive. Seems very fast EXCEPT on the occasions you need to do a system restart. Are flash drives agonizingly slow on a restart compared to my two ancient iMacs I still have using a spinning hard drive? If it matters on the restart I also have two other drives connected.

Not able to solve your problem, but I am writing to say I had problems with a bluetooth keyboard on my 2018 27 inch iMac so I went with a wired keyboard for no problems.

I'm the least techy person on here probably.. But did you disconnect/turn off the Blue tooth connection on your other computer? I know that we have a number of blue tooth devices at home and will only connect to one computer at a time. I have to physically go in and disconnect from my computer/ipad/iphone before my wife can connect to the device.

I would "forget" the keyboard in bluetooth, restart, then see if it'll reconnect and stay connected. You can also restart the BT service (look up terminal command to restart BT service or something like that). If it still doesn't work you may have a bad keyboard or a bad BT receiver in the imac (or both). Try a different BT device like a mouse or headphones and see if they have issues as well.

Flash drives are plenty fast but they're not that great at being boot devices from a speed perspective.

Thanks. I talked (as best as I can) with Apple and screen share. During the convo both started working again just by coincidence. Yes I would have had no issue keeping the keyboard hard wired, the mouse no. I tried asking apple rep what may have been causing it but after while I got tired of asking him to repeat what he was saying. Apple site also claims interference can cause probs so it may have been a fluke thing with the wifi right behind it and powered hub and a trillion cables.
Yes the other Mac a few feet away also has BT on but it never posed a problem. I did notice the other day it stopped pairing with the new one and was also giving me a computer name that I did not recognize at all.

That's why I prefer online chat to phone consultation. Then at the end I can download the chat transcript to reread if I wish.

Yes I considered that and I suppose in the end there is little live chat can do that online can not as well. As far as screen sharing after decades with Apple I don't really need a guy showing me where to click. Online would also do away with the issue of trying to understand what is being said.

Thanks. I talked (as best as I can) with Apple and screen share. During the convo both started working again just by coincidence. Yes I would have had no issue keeping the keyboard hard wired, the mouse no. I tried asking apple rep what may have been causing it but after while I got tired of asking him to repeat what he was saying. Apple site also claims interference can cause probs so it may have been a fluke thing with the wifi right behind it and powered hub and a trillion cables.
Yes the other Mac a few feet away also has BT on but it never posed a problem. I did notice the other day it stopped pairing with the new one and was also giving me a computer name that I did not recognize at all.
BT interference from a router is highly unlikely but interference in general IS likely. When it is intermittent, it typically leans towards interference or a bad transmitter/receiver. I would look for a way to reset the BT controller on your new computer, remove all devices and try connecting them again one by one and see if it happens again.

BT interference from a router is highly unlikely but interference in general IS likely. When it is intermittent, it typically leans towards interference or a bad transmitter/receiver. I would look for a way to reset the BT controller on your new computer, remove all devices and try connecting them again one by one and see if it happens again.
I did reset everything when I lost the keyboard which further resulted in me next losing my mouse. It's been working fine since it mysteriously all came back online while I was on the phone with Apple.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom