Before Patrick gets his Eagles posted....;-)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I was sitting at my desk working diligently yesterday when one of my coworkers called and said that a hawk had just landed in a tree next to our building.

I ran out to the truck, got my cam out of the bag, and got off a few shots. It was very overcast, and these were taken handheld at 510mm. I had to crank the ISO up to get any kind of decent shutter speed, so they have some visible noise. Not too bad for a spur of the moment capture though.

Full wing extension (one of my favorite bird poses):
    [​IMG]

Checking out the territory:
    [​IMG]

Classic 3/4 profile:
    [​IMG]

Your thought and comments welcomed.

Frank

2. nice Red Tail. See, the day wasnt an entire waste. :D

3. You have got some legitimage Hi Key images of this Red Tail and wonderful they are. Congratulations on some fine images.

4. Very nice

Hey there frank wow what a opportunity, I have been driving around looking for hawks every day on my lunch break

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Great luminous high-key shots of the hawk. The feather detail is right on in shots two and three. The bird is glowingly lit. The first shot in particular has a great feeling.

And if you don't like that background, you can always play with it in PS.

John P.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind comments guys. A few months ago, I couldn't / wouldn't have gotten these shots at all because of the heavy backlighting.

It is due to the lessons that I've gotten from Ron, and from the great examples that I've gotten here and on DPR from you folks that I had any chance at all. :wink:

Kindest regards,

Frank

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    WOW, what great detail!

Excellent!

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank....

You are without a doubt getting far better results utilizing TC's with your 300 than I appear to be getting with my 200-400 and TC's.

Can I rub my lens on you or something when I see you next week? Maybe whatever it is that you have will rub off on my stuff?

Great shots!

Jim

9. Very nice serendipitous shots! Great color...see it always pays to have that camera ready!