Beginner in PSCS - going to hang out here

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by GeeJay, Mar 22, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I just discovered this category.. I know nothing about PSCS and I have that along with Capture 4.2---- If I hang out here will I learn, as a beginner in PSCS, how to use it? I guess I can just keep asking questions..

I have to learn this program so can you suggest any books that you think would go along with my learning here on this site. I'm certainly eager to learn PSCS and to apply it to my photos...

Thanks a million,

Gaye

2. Gaye,

I have found Scott Kelby's "The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers" to be very helpful in my efforts to learn and understand the aspects of digital pictures and PhotoShop CS.

3. I agree with Doug.

I have three of Scott Kelby's books and they're all excellent but Doug's recommendation is the one to start with.

The "trouble" with Kelby is that a long, long time ago a doting grandparent must have told me he was witty. He isn't, but he thinks he is. You have to cut through the dross of his inanities in order to get to his good stuff. But it's worth the effort.

4. Gaye,
    be prepared for a steep learning curve. This software is a monster, but once you manage to get over the threshold there is no turning back.

I started with PS 6 and several rather basic books 3 years ago. Learned 5 things - forgot 3.

Scott Kelby's book is certainly one of the best; if you are into retouching of old pics it is also worth to have a look at Katrin Eisman's books. Also there are tons of tutorials on the web.
    Since I am such a lousy out-of-the-box photog, I would be lost without PS.
    cheers

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I think he's funny, but then I think I am too. :)

6. Gaye, the best book on PS CS (and I have three) is Scott Kelby's book as has been mentioned. He has many simple to follow tutorials or how to's that really get you going in PS. Good luck on what will be a long term quest. Don't be afraid to ask questions as most of us are somwhere along the learning curve.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Gaye!

To learn how to use the tools of Photoshop to fix up images, I agree that Kelby's book is great. He also is the editor of Photoshop User magazine that keeps up with the state of the Photoshop art without repeating his book stuff. I'd also recommend that.

The second book I'd suggest is Bruce Fraser's Camera Raw if you intend on using Photoshop to convert NEF files for editing. Photoshop has the ability to rescue about a stop and a half of highlights that would be blown if converted by Nikon Capture. Fraser's book is readable, starts slow and gets into details fast. He spends a lot of time on workflow issues, actions and the file browser.

Oh, and he thinks he's funny too (I think it's a requirement of authors who write about software.)

8. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
  9. Ilaih, this looks like an interesting book. Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know Martin?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Only by some correspondence :)

BTW, if I name a person by first name, does it imply I know him in person? - taking a chance to learn some proper manners in English here :)

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thank you Harry S., Chris,Gordon,Iliah, Clive and Doug,

Wow, I am delighted with your help and suggestions. I have just ordered every book suggested from Amazon.....and I got most of them used and in good shape...

I go to a summer cottage in Michigan all summer and there will dive into these books...it'll be my summer project... This is the place where we have 20-30 hummingbirds around our house all summer. I'll be sitting outside with my books and my tripod and long lens.

Thank you very much :!: :!: :!:

Gaye

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gaye,

I also have all the books recommended and bought all used, they came in new.

Long road worth the ride.

I would also hang around the Retouching forum everyday at DPR.

Cheers
    Gale

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gale,

Thanks for the tip... I just wish we had more hours in the day.

Cheers!

Gaye

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    How very cool! I'm from Michigan, but haven't been back in almost 40 years now. Mostly I remember how paradise-like the summer was. Where's your cottage?

15. Photoshop is broken up into 3 areas of mastery: Layers, Channels and Paths. Learn each area, and then find what area you are most comfortable with. The beauty of photoshop is the ability to do the same thing through multiple functions.

16. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Michigan??

Me too.

Lots of good things to photograph in our beautiful state!!

17. Hi Gaye,

I agree that Scott Kelby's books is the way to start. I know because I started there and then I spent going on 2 yrs on the Retouching forum on DPR and learned more there than anywhere else.

To be honest, the best place to hang out is the Photoshop discussion on the Cafe because that is where you will learn PS if you want to on the Cafe. I hang out there sometimes but still enjoy DPR Retouching because all of my friends are over there even though I am making new friends here as well. In fact, CraigH spends time over on DPR Retouching too. He has been a help to us and we have been a help to him.

PS is not hard once you get the hang of what everything is used for and when you learn layers and masks then you are on your way. Those are the two hardest to learn for some reason on PS. I had problems with them and now I have writtain a tutorial that includes layers and masks for another forum. Relax and have fun!!! Get the Kelby books and do the exercises. They definitly help :)

18. For Harry

Hi Harry,

I took a look at your website and really like your ancestors photographs. Is there a chance you could add who they are. Like what relation they are? Isn't it hard to believe that these people had to stay in postition for a 3 minute exposure back then. No wonder most never smiled. I couldn't imagine holding a smile for 3 minutes :)

19. Re: For Harry

Hi Melissa!

I'm happy that you liked my ancestor gallery, kind of reward for the tedious work to get them look like this. My relatives just appreciate the final outcome but have no notion whatsoever how this result was achieved. If I tell them I did this and that just means cabbage to them, some even think there's some kind of magic button in PS ....

I have indeed plans to add some short text describing who is who, but I want to do this in one swoop and have to wait until I get back the prints from my mother who will consult my still living elders who know each person.
    The most amazing picture for me is that group photo
    http://www.pbase.com/rovebeetle/image/27842096
    The old lady to the left is my great-great-great grandmother and the pic is more than 100 years old. BTW - the quality and resolution of these old large format cameras is still amazing.

If I have time these days I will post some before/after samples from this series.

Final remark: I also still like to visit the retouching forum now and then. First of all, I have learbed a lot there, and, as I mentioned elsewhere, it's one of the few fora on DPR which managed to preserve a nice and friendly atmosphere.

Happy Easter

20. Thanks Harry for the reply.

I know what you mean by some people think there is a magic button in CS and me of all people wished that when I started using PS. Yeah, right!