Beginner Photoshop tutorial

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by trynforpar, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Is there a really credible Photoshop tutorial out there for beginners. I have CS3 on my computer but I cant seem to get the hang of it. It seems that there is much more info then I need for digital photography.

2. Jsheffers

Jsheffers Guest

3. chandler

chandler

Oct 21, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I liked the videos on photoshoptalent.com

4. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I too had problems learning CS3. Although it is the king of PP, I've decided to learn Capture NX2 instead. If you haven't tried, I recommend that you try their 60 day trial. Just a warning, it seems to load slow, but boy is it so much easier. You can click a certain part of the image and change the brightness instantly. When you're done there, you can click another part and do the same, as many times you deem necessary. I've given up on CS3.

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Not a tutorial but I found Scott Kelby's book on PS CS3 absolutely excellent. Can't remember exact title but it was something like "Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers" at $50 but I had a coupon and got it for around $30 in Borders.
    Very very simple step by step instructions taking you through opening your photos in Bridge, using Camera Raw for basic/batch adjustments, all sorts of great stuff (simple one pagers on how to fix love handles, how to convert to b/w). I'd had PS for years and never really understood the huge potential!

6. I agree, Scott Kelby's book is a good way to learn by following his tutorials on given steps.

7. Johnny Yuma

Johnny Yuma

Jun 27, 2007
    SE MI
    Scott Kelby x3

8. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    If you learn well from books, Scott Kelby presents a lot of good stuff. However, it didn't work for me. I found that he assumes you already know the user interface and tools in Photoshop CS3. There were plenty of frustrating moments when something didn't work for me, even though I followed him step by step. I later found out that I needed to check a box here, or have some other setting just a certain way. I'd say that Scott Kelby's books are great AFTER you know Photoshop.

However, I was truly pleased with kelbytraining.com to get me up to speed, and then continue with more advanced lessons. For $20, you can watch some excellent video tutorials online, download and go over the same sample photos they use in the videos, and maybe check out some other training.

You can stop at the end of the month, or continue the subscription for the same fee. If you sign up with NAPP, the monthly fee drops $2. Check it out. The first two or three video lessons of each course are available without paying anything, so you can get an idea if it works for you or not. I thought it was great, much cheaper and faster than working with any book.

9. The Big Dummy book probably doesn't teach as much as Kelby's book, but it's very simple, and it got me comfortable with the Photoshop interface quite quickly.

10. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    I watched total training for adobe photoshop CS3-enhancing digital photograhs a few weeks ago. I got it from a friend.

I had a basic understanding of PP prior to watching it but i felt it was very in depth, right from opening up stuff in bridge(Which I dont use), to Color settings etc. I also learnt some new stuff like changing to Lab mode and using smart sharpen.

Before that I learnt most of my stuff from youtube and various photography sites(Theres a UK photography magazine that does weekly PS articles, but I cant remember its name)

'How to cheat at photoshop' is also a great book but its pretty advanced. There are many ways to achieve things in photoshop, so I suggest developing a basic workflow and being flexible

11. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    I too recommend that beginners avoid Scott Kelby's books.

Scott knows photography and applications extremely well. But he could not teach Photoshop to a beginner through a book if his life depended on it. I had several years of Photoshop experience before I ever bought one of his books, and even I was taken aback at his directionless approach. On a macro level he keeps changing style with each new book released, as if he too is trying to figure out the right way to communicate the material.

There are plenty of FREE video tutorials for beginning and advanced Photoshop users. Visit youtube and search the iTunes store for audio and video Podcasts. You will learn a lot from watching these videos, whether you are someone starting to work with the tools in Photoshop or you are an advanced user who wants to get into HDR.

Above all, find the most basic, simple book on CS3. Do not buy an intermediate or advanced level guide, thinking that this will be the only volume you will ever need! You must buy multiple books over a period of years while working on thousands of photos if you want to learn the application well. It will take you a couple months just to figure out what is in CS3 and what to do with it.

12. There are Photoshop Killer Tips you can download and watch in videos (I watch in Itunes).