1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Beguinage

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Bart, Apr 22, 2011.

1. I don't know if you are familiar with the phenomenon of a beguinage.
    In case you are not, this is an excerpt from the Wikipedia article:

A béguinage (French) or begijnhof (Dutch) is a collection of small buildings used by Beguines. These were various lay sisterhoods of the Roman Catholic Church, founded in the 13th century in the Low Countries, comprising religious women who sought to serve God without retiring from the world.

Some of these are still present in our cities. Some are being restored and are used as housing projects.
    I any case, they are worth a visit.
    This picture is from the "Groot Begijnhof Sint-Elisabeth te Sint-Amandsberg (Gent)"

p672946789-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I never had heard of a beguinage, but I like the look of this one.

Great clarity and detail and the unusual toning works very well for the subject. Nice.

3. sunmay

sunmay

Apr 29, 2010
    PARIS
    Very nice building and thanks for the information, Bart.
    Great composition and PP.
    @Bart: it's Brussels (my photo "Tea time").

4. Thanks Peter and Ky. I appreciate your comments.

5. I really like this photo. I wonder if that's the original roof?

6. Thank you, Alan.
    A lot of the houses have been restored in the original style.
    Quit a few are still being restored. These are of course not very photogenic at this point.

7. Nice shot, great detail and PP on this Bart... Interesting story behind it as well... Thanks

8. Thanks, Wally.
    And you're welcome!

9. Beautiful shot and processing. Thanks for the history!

10. That's a wonderful image and story Bart - thanks. One of the things that makes the Café great IMHO is the diversity and the interesting stories of differing cultures like yours.

11. Thank you kindly, Dossy and Geoff!

I agree about the diversity. It is what makes the world an interesting place and here we get a taste from scenes from all over the world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.