Beijing Hutong - Asking for critique

Beijing's hutong - narrow alleys - are probably the most cliched and drooled over facet of the city. They are indeed charming - but only to those who visit them. Those who live in the hutong are subject to houses without basic amenitites such as plumbing. Communal latrines are used and spread throughout the labrynthine network of alleys. I spent some time wandering around them today.

As for the shot itelf - I'm a little off put by the sky. What are your opinions of it? Does the overexposed sky have a serious detrimental effect on the image? Critiques appeciated.

CopyofHutongBlur.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Justin. I'm no expert but I'll give you my impressions nonetheless. I'm having trouble with the pic. The sky doesn't bother me, the woman does. Not sure exactly what it is though. I don't have an issue with the blur in general but there's definitely something disturbing me about the contrast between the clearly in focus left foot and the nearly invisible right foot.

I like the picture in general but the woman is causing me some discomfort. Does that make sense? The way it is, I don't like it. If they're pp effects, maybe lessening them would be more "comfortable". It's really strange, though, as I like the photo overall...just not the woman...

Understood Kevin. It's not a photoshop effect, so I can't lessen it, not sure that I would anyway as I don't have a problem with the woman. The sky is what got to me.

Appreciate the comments!

I think the blown out sky detracts from the image. I would not have included the sky in the image. I think you were trying to counterpose the close, narrow alley with unoccupied bicycles (solitude) with someone rushing, possibly to work. Actually, a nice idea for composition. The blown out sky kills it though.

Keep working, your direction is good!

Rich

Latest threads

Top Bottom