Beijing Migrant Worker

Discussion in 'People' started by JustinD, Sep 13, 2005.

1. In any of the major cities of China one can count many many buildings being erected..tons of construction is happening all over the country as China continues to develope. A social phenomon as the result of this are millions of migrant workers that flock from the provinces to the cities. Beijng is no different. In preperation for the 2008 Olympic Games here the city is changing faces at an astonishing pace. To meet the demand of builders it's said that there are upwards of 1 million people from various provinces of China that have come here seeking work.

I've wanted to document this social upheavel for quite some time...and as luck would have it...a new construction project has just gotten under way near my neighborhood. I walked there today hoping to get a couple of portraits and introduce myself. I captured this gentleman's portrait and promised to take him back a print of it. I hope to return to the site and photograph the other workers.

A little about the image - he's backlit. I used spot metering on his face.

I know there's overexposure - any other other comments are welcome and appreciated on this portrait.

MigrantWorker.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2005
  2. This man has an interesting face, I'll bet he would like to have this image. By way of critique, you have some lens flare at the top of the photo that is usually caused by light spilling directly into your lens. I realize that this image is back lit and that is the look that you were trying to achieve; however, it is important not to let light spill into your lens. This image would have been enhanced with some fill flash.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  3. It's an interesting pic, especially knowing the story behind it. I would try boosting the contrast, the high key of the sun behind him really blows out the contrast.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    The blown background doesn't bother me that much. While it is a bit distracting, I still like how you have captured this man's face. Your narrative adds to the interest. I would like to see more of what is going on around you in anticipation of the 2008 Olympic Games.

5. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    TKO,

post more mate - these will become more and more interesting

Add a bit more contrast - like the b/w too