Being hounded by another photographer

D

Deleted member 4116

I'm sorry, it is NOT semantics. They are 2 opposing ideas.
Whether you take 3 lefts or 3 rights to get to your destination matters zero if all you're looking to do is get to the destination. But i'll agree to disagree.

Here, a poster has to disclaim they want critiques

That's not accurate. Here, the forum policy is that critique is not wanted unless the photographer explicitly asks for it. Some photographers place a request for critique in their automated signature that appears at the bottom of their posts. Some place the request in the first post of their thread. And some use the forum's moniker displayed next to the thread title to request critique.

D

Deleted member 4116

The best I can do is suggest that you review a formal definition of the word, disclaim. Once you've done that, hopefully you'll understand the difference between your post and mine.
You got me. I work in web operations and we have to use disclaimers throughout the site to inform users of promotions, offers, details and so on. We have to clarify what we want to "disclaim" to our visitors (i.e. inform). But now that I see the error, I understand why: Disclaimers as we know them today were derived from the older stance of using the negative voice such as "Doesn't include, isn't, not" whereas we have shifted this to the positive voice of "includes, valid through". Good call out, thanks, I get to inform the rest of our team of this in our call later. :D

I am not sure I understand the confusion about “disclaimer”.
It is a restrictive statement of responsibilities.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I add any words I have just learned to a list in my personal database. Over the years it has accumulated lots of interesting words, many of which I still cannot remember.
A few examples for your enjoyment:
  • exiguous
  • persicacity and how it is different from perspicuity
  • manicule
  • Irredentism
  • prolixity
  • snollygoster
  • tergiversate
  • trypophobia

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
That's so true that sometimes beyond the words being used, the tone of voice, body language, facial expressions and even laughter can have very different meaning between two cultures.
Not just between cultures....but between individuals. Also each person deals with others based on prior experiences, etc. Some people assume most people are friendly and helpful, some people assume most people are out to get them, some people assume that other people are indifferent....and some people assume others are wrong until proven correct!

Ah...but we are WAY off topic.....

Not just between cultures....but between individuals. Also each person deals with others based on prior experiences, etc. Some people assume most people are friendly and helpful, some people assume most people are out to get them, some people assume that other people are indifferent....

Ah...but we are WAY off topic.....
Ah, those business meetings in English at one of my previous employers, Lexmark, when the team in Kentucky decided to bring the Irish, the Scots, Aussies, folks from India and more Europeans to our UK:US.
It was hilarious when the commonwealth members ganged on everyone else.

If someone on a forum said to me " Hey, have you tried doing this, may help" to me is helpful

However this is what I was getting from him quote" If you EVER understood the main concept of photography, then perhaps one day you might understand " unquote. Virtually every photo I posted was like this or worse.

This was the last "attack" which did it for me. Really trying to put me down every time over a very very long time.

Why should I have to put up with this constant harrassing? well I had enough.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4116

You shouldn't. That's uncalled for and crosses the line from being helpful to bullying. Report the person and let the mods/admins handle it.

@barry lloyd, I feel for you.

There is one aspect where a person wants to learn, or better themselves within a hobby, and another where they are content with their skill level, just want to have fun and enjoy their hobby. If critique wasn't asked for and someone wants to offer it, then they should seek permission before doing so.

If critique wasn't asked for and someone wants to offer it, then they should seek permission before doing so.

Some websites have a policy that all photos are subject to critique. When a subscriber creates an account at them, they agree to that policy. I have no idea what the policy is at the website Barry is referring to. Regardless of the policy, online bullying should never be permitted.

Latest threads

Top Bottom