1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Belted Kingfisher Juvenile Female

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cybertec69, Aug 9, 2018.

1. A couple from today, there was two of them jousting for fishing spots and making a racket at the local pond.
    D500 and Nikon 200-500mm.

1. Diving for some Minos
    29017881137_a69825c85b_o.
    2. Got one
    43236787054_b86d5211fb_o.
    3. Oh look Mallards
    43955355231_b14e15d193_o.
    4. See you later
    43236810424_88f89dd821_o.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thank you Rick.

3. Nice exposures on the bird. Backgrounds are really involved, but any good Kingfisher shot is a good shot because they HATE people.

4. Thanks Bobby, say that again, it is a challenge to say the least trying to get close to these little rockets.

5. Nicely done! I've never been able to get close enough for shots like this.

Cheers

Mike

6. Thanks Mike, there was two of them, which helped with them jousting with each other and being slightly distracted, I was also kneeling at the edge of the pond in between heavy brush. I have been studying their perching and fishing locations for months. After I took these shots, they spotted me and decided to fish at the other side of the pond. With these birds you need to be patient, be still with no sudden movements "you will hear them coming", and when you get your chance don't hesitate at all, when you set up make sure your settings are set so you are ready to fire away, also bring the camera up to your face in a smooth and steady motion, well that's what I do. I don't use blinds and the sort, I try to blend in with my surroundings as much as possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.