Belted Kingfisher .... Updated with anotehr photo.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by gillesk, Aug 17, 2008.

1. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Hello,
    I have been spending some time trying to get close to a family of Belted kingfishers. They are so difficult to get close too that I find the use of a blind "a must". I was late setting up (07:00am) this morning, the birds were already working the area and I sat for 2.5 hours this morning. Between groups of birders and other people walking within the area, I managed a few shots of one of the birds.
    Next outing I must be in place before first light.
    Anyways, here is one of the images. I think that it is my best so far for this species.

original.gif

The background consists of tall grass on the shore of this small creek.
    As far as equipment needed; 300mm is the absolute minimum; this was shot with a 300 + 1.7x TC (for a total of 500mm) and the image has been cropped. I set up the blind about 5 metres from what seems to be one the birds favorite perches. Unfortunatly this bird landed on my "backup target" perch. I call it a backup perch as it is further away, about twice the distance from my primary target perch.
    Oh Boy, does one needs patience with some luck for this species.
    Thank you for looking.
    Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  2. I know the feeling all to well Gilles, sweet shot, and you are rewarded for your effort here for sure.

3. Great Capture Gilles, They don't call it the devil bird for nothing

4. Truly outstanding job Gilles

5. Beautiful shot Gilles!

6. Terrific shot Gilles.

7. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Hy Ray and thanks,
    I am confident that I will be getting the shot I want in the near furture. And if I do not, it will not be due to lack of trying.
    I have observed these birds for the past while and narrowed down my options, so I guess it is only a matter of time.

Hi Gary and Thank you
    I am pretty happy with this shot but would really like the same kind of capture with a bird on the perch I have selected as my ideal perch. Further more and to be even better I want to be able to just apply a very slight crop (if any) for the soul purpose of composition. In these cases, I like to limit the crop to no more than 10% off the original. It is a tall order for this species.

Hello Dave, Anthony and Louis.
    Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.
    I hope you are having as much fun as I am.

Best regards to ALL.

8. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Hello,
    Sorry, another Kingfisher photo.....

Well, I spent another 3 hours in the blind this evening and had a lot of activity as the light was getting dimmer and dimmer. It was around 21:00hrs by the time I finished shooting and the sun was gone.
    I do not usually shoot that late so I found that it was a difficult situation but I am quite happy with the result.
    Three kingfishers decided to show up several time during the last hour. I moved slightly from where I like to sit as I wanted to get better coverage of an alternate perch so the background from my primary target spot is crowded with stray branches.
    Here is a sample for tonite:

original.gif

This one was shot at 1/30sec

had a lot of fun again.
    Best regards.

9. Congrats, these are incredibly hard birds to get close enough to shoot, beautiful work.
    Kevin P.

10. Great Shot for Shooting in the Dark, If fact this would be a great shot in Nice Light!!!

11. Looks like you are having fun! Keep after him, Gilles. Nice shots, both. I'd blur the background a little more in the first one to tone down the highlights and make it even less distracting.