Benefit concert photos

A close friend and hockey buddy was playing in a benefit concert for the Sick Childrens' Hospital here in Toronto on October 23rd, which was about eight weeks after my hip replacement surgery.
As my recovery was coming along well, and I had been walking around for several weeks without a cane, I decided to attend the concert and shoot his group's set.
In total I was at the venue for about three hours, and got about 150 shots of his five song set.
Despite some stiffness and being unable to hear anything for a few hours afterward, I was mentally invigorated to be doing some fast-paced framing and shooting that I've missed so much for the last year or two, because of my very painful bad hip.
My friend Barry Zak, is an incredibly talented musician, and is the long-haired lead guitar player.
These are a few of the photos
Bear-Sick Kids Concert-1-1920.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Bear-Sick Kids Concert-3-1920.jpg
Bear-Sick Kids Concert-4-1920.jpg
Bear-Sick Kids Concert-10-1920.jpg
I like best:

Randy, Klaus, Mike, Nick, Jim, Karen,
Thank you all for the kind words.
I was very pleased with the pictures as was my bud Barry and his co-worker, the base player, who put the group together for the concert.
I told them that if any of the photos would be of use in any way to the hospital, or the company that staged the Benefit Show for future fund-raising, that they have blanket permission to use them, in exchange for photo credits.
I'm hoping that this exercise got my creative juices flowing again to get out and photograph on the streets.
Robert

Last edited:
being unable to hear anything for a few hours afterward​

Been there, be careful, hearing loss is cumulative and gradual . . . eh, what did you say?
I used to wear ear muffs when shooting school dances.
I now use ear plugs. They are less obvious.

ac12,
Except for shooting an outdoor revival of another band many years ago, I've never photographed at an indoor concert, and did this without even pre-scouting the venue (something I always did when doing paid assignments) to help determine film speeds (yes it has been that long) lens choices, light levels, and ideal vantage points. Additionally, I was unaware of my friend's musical choices (punk frenetic instrumentals played at nuclear explosion decibel levels). So except for schlepping two lenses, I walked into the concert cold, and had to improvise on the fly.
I didn't even think to bring earplugs, and while I was standing beside the stage and an amplifier the size of a bungalow, there was no time to take off my shoes and stuff my socks in my ears.
Luckily my hearing has returned to normal and now I only miss a fraction of my Wife's sarcastic comments.
Robert

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom