Benefits of processor upgrade?

Just wondering if there are any reports of tangible performance increases.

The specifics are...

Current spec is a Dell Latitude D630 running an Intel T7500 (65nm 2.2ghz 4MB cache) with 6GB RAM and Windows 7 Ult 64 bit. The Santa Rosa chipset with Intel GM965 graphics.

I have found I can upgrade to a T9500 Penryn chip at 2.6ghz on 45nm tech. It has a 6MB cache. Due to the laptop design, the second SODIMM slot is hard to access and very near the CPU, so when I go in I plan to replace that 2GB module with a second 4GB (for a total of 8GB).

Doing my normal stuff, my RAM usually doesn't exceed around 40-50% so that upgrade is really more because it'll be easy to do. CPU usage is a different matter. It runs the full gamut from both cores running idle around 3-5% all the way to 95-100% when watching video. When trying to do the simplest video editing, it really slows to a crawl. It also runs out to the max when transferring files, especially to my external drives.

So, I know that 2.2 - 2.6ghz isn't exactly a huge jump, but 4 - 6MB jump in cache size should help, right? Also, with the drop from 65nm to 45nm, I should see better temps and more efficient power usage.

So, is this line of thinking on the right track? I can do both the RAM and CPU for $200, so the monetary investment isn't large. My custom desktop build keeps getting postponed, so I want to get at least another 12-18 months out of this machine...

It's a 7200rpm drive.

Regarding money towards a desktop, I've been attempting this for some time. Every time I manage to put away a few hundred dollars, something comes up and it has to be reallocated! Now I'm buying a new starter for one of our two cars :-/

This particular computer is actually doing its duty remarkably well. I keep it docked 95% of the time where it drives two monitors (24 and 19 inch) and has two 1TB drives via eSATA and one 500GB drive via USB. For LR, general work, and the vast majority of CS5 work, it's fine. As my needs and wants are steering more towards at least some video, that's driving my desire to give it a lite bump that'll hopefully make watching and very light editing less painful...

With that in mind, and knowing that a full build is realistically over a year out, is the upgrade looking a little more reasonable or is this particular upgrade too marginal to offer tangible benefit?

Wayne, those are the numbers I was using to justify the question!

Looks like you and GT are on the way to saving me some money :tongue:

I'm also guessing since my 6GB RAM isn't hitting any walls, I'll stay put there, too.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom