Bengali Wedding

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Mar 25, 2007.

1. On Friday evening, the bride's hands were decorated by an artist, using paste made from the henna plant.

The paste was removed on Saturday, revealing the fine red pattern left beneath. Tradition has it that the darker the henna, the deeper the love.

The Nikah, or religious Muslim ceremony, took place this afternoon, and I was honored to be entrusted to capture images from the event. I've just begun to process the gallery, but this image is already my favorite.

View attachment 87081

More to come on this thread.

2. Looking forward to seeing more of these images!

3. Wow, Frank...can't wait to see them!

4. Wow amazing!! I can't wait to see more

5. Wonderful work. Must have been a treat.

6. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Great job Frank, can't wait to see more!

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Great job controlling the exposures and the flash. What an unusual custom(for us westerners anyway). Love em, and I too can't wait to see more!

8. Great shots Frank!! I can't wait to see more!!!

9. Thanks for all of your kind comments. As usual after an event, I've spent a good part of the night editing my catches. Here's a sampling of the Begali Wedding Gallery.

Arriving early, I was greeted by the bride's son and mother. The home was warmly decorated in anticipation of the arrival of the guests.

View attachment 87083

Their beautiful, muted outfits didn't prepare me for the rainbow of bright colors that the guests would be wearing.

View attachment 87084

View attachment 87085

View attachment 87086

View attachment 87087

When this gentleman arrived, I didn't need to be introduced to understand that he would be conducting the ceremony. He's one of the leaders of the local Bengali cultural and religious community, and his quiet presence and dignity were felt immediately.

View attachment 87088

At 4PM, the solemn religious ceremony took place.

View attachment 87089

View attachment 87090

View attachment 87091

View attachment 87092

After the customary hugs, kisses, and congratulations, the bride and groom were re-seated for an interesting tradition.

View attachment 87093

As I understand it, the groom and bride are not suppose to look at each other before or during the ceremony, and their first glimpses of each other afterwards are to be by looking into a mirror.

View attachment 87094

View attachment 87095

Since the groom comes from outside their community, his acceptance by the ladies was a matter of importance.

View attachment 87096

Here's my formal picture of the couple.

View attachment 87097

Guess what? This was just a teaser! The big reception, will be held in July. I can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  10. The colors are AMAZING Frank!! You did a great job as usual. What were your weapons of choice for the wedding? I'm going to guess the beast, but I'd like to hear it from you... :biggrin:

11. What a great series of shots and what an honor for you to be allowed to take them. Some of these shots are outstanding.

Well done my friend.

12. Thanks, Keith!

The 28-70 was my primary lens, but I also found uses for the 20/2.8, 60 micro, 85/1.4, and 180/2.8. I used flash for many of the pictures, though not for the ceremony itself.

13. That's my feeling at any wedding, but particularly at this one, Gordon,since I was allowed to witness and photograph a sacred ceremony from another religion. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if I were allowed to photograph an LDS wedding, but the cultural differences added to the religious one multiplied the impact this ceremony for me. It was rather amazing.

I spoke to the officiant before the ceremony, to make sure I wouldn't offend with my camera work, and he identified the sacred portions of the ceremony for me.

I still worried, since I'm not built for stealth, but after the ceremon, he came over and said, "May I embrace you?", and gave me a big hug. I was honored.

But when all's said and done, a marriage ceremony in any culture or religion is about witnessing two souls uniting in love.

View attachment 87099

14. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Amazing how two people, worlds apart, can come together and fall in love.

Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love it.

15. These are a lovely set, far more relaxed than the usual wedding photo's I see.
    Great work and well done to you.

16. There are priests, ministers, rabbis, and whatnot but only a few are "Men of God" and you can sense it the instant you find yourself in their presence.

Peace is the best way to sum it up.

17. What fantastic photos, Frank! Really stunning! You did a simply wonderful job! I can imagine how pleased the bride, groom and their families are. Just wonderful! Didn't all the colorful saris delight you? A real feast for the eyes!

18. That's very flattering, Connie. In fact, if you don't stop, I might blush for the first time in many years :redface: .

19. Gosh, Frank.....you've really come such a long way from those days on DPR when you posted hummingbird photos! They were excellent, but your people photos are truly outstanding. You have a gift for capturing wonderful images of people!

Heh...blushing yet?! :biggrin: