Benro ballheads

I'm looking into getting a new tripod since my old Manfrotto broke. I can't justify breaking the bank since I don't use a tripod regularly enough, but when you need a tripod, you need a tripod! :).

So, I'm looking at getting this combo, and I'm wondering if Benro ballheads are decent quality. The only ballhead I have ever used in a Manfrotto one that is not AS compatible, so I know I will need to get new mounts as well... Again, I just can't justify getting a RRS oo similar head.

https://www.amazon.com/Benro-Travel...9494&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=benro+tripod&psc=1

I can't speak to the ball head quality but I've been happily using a Benro tripod for about 10 years. I got one with a center post that can be mounted horizontally and at other angles so I can get down to the ground for "bugs". I use a Sirui 20 series ball head on the Benro tripod.

Larry

Thanks, Fish... I looked for some reviews on that particular ballhead, but there's not much (new) out there. However, I think it will be an upgrade from what I currently am using, which has worked well, but I've never been in love with it. If the only thing it upgrades is that creep after i tighten it down, then I'm happy...

I'm looking into getting a new tripod since my old Manfrotto broke. I can't justify breaking the bank since I don't use a tripod regularly enough, but when you need a tripod, you need a tripod! :).

So, I'm looking at getting this combo, and I'm wondering if Benro ballheads are decent quality. The only ballhead I have ever used in a Manfrotto one that is not AS compatible, so I know I will need to get new mounts as well... Again, I just can't justify getting a RRS oo similar head.

https://www.amazon.com/Benro-Travel...9494&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=benro+tripod&psc=1
I am sure that Benro are well made although no recent experience. Obviously Gitzo the safe recommendation but comes at a price.

I have the Manfrotto 055 CX Pro as a main tripod and have a preference for a three way pan and tilt over ball heads. I converted the Manfrotto dedicated to AS compatible. While I do think this an excellent and lightweight tripod I felt the need to get a travel tripod.

So I am going to throw something different into the pot for consideration
I ruled out the Gitzo series as too costly and searched for an alternative with similar specs to one of the Gitzo travel series and came up with the Zomei (also considered MeFoto). Took a chance and purchased one and have to say very pleasantly suprised with the quality and performance. I have only used it with FF with modest sized lenses and have been happy.

The ball head I would class as adequate but if anything better needed it could be exchanged and may prove to be still cost effective.

Not a Gitzo or RRS of course but at $150 may prove adequate for your needs?

Thank you both for the replies. Fish, I looked into the Surui brand, and it seems about equal with the Benro... both would be a step up from my old, heavy Manfrotto tripod which I'm replacing. Tony, I also looked into the MeFoto brand, but it doesn't seem to get as many positive reviews, although your hands-on experience means more to me.

After some more research, I've narrowed it down to a couple specific possibilities. Anyone care to comment on these in particular?
1. combo
Benro FTA28CV1 Travel Angel Series 2 Carbon Fiber FTA28CV1 B&H

2. tripod
Used Sirui W-1204 Waterproof Carbon Fiber Tripod SUW1204 B&H
with ballhead
Sirui K-20x Ball Head SUK20X B&H Photo Video

I know I can mix and match brands of legs and heads...

I have an Induro BHD3 ballhead. Apparently Benro and Induro are manufactured by the same company in China. I also have both a carbon fiber and aluminum tripod and 2 gimbal heads. All are top notch, work as advertised and have a 5 year warranty. I would buy again if the need arises.

dale

Thanks for the replies everyone! After further review, I decided on a pair of Benro legs, and Sirui head, as these seemed to have the best overall reviews.

Good choice, and don’t forget to let us know what you think once you have used them :)

Will do, Tony! I am actually excited about getting the items... maybe having a (hopefully) good pair of legs and head will encourage me to get out do do more landscape shooting.

Ok, a followup for those interested (disclaimer, poor cell phone pics due to my laziness :p).
(Second disclaimer: I have little experience with tripods/heads in general, and 0 experience with anything of quality; I realize that after this purchase!)

First, I think I got a great deal on the tripod. I bought it used as a 9+ from B&H, but it came with tags still on it and not one single scratch... it's gotta be a purchase and immediate return model, but I saved around $100 on it, so I'm not complaining!

Ok, tripod. Carbon fiber is wow! So light! The tripod plus head are a bit lighter than just my old tripod! The legs seem nice to me, I do love the twist locks over the old flip locks now that I've used them a few times. The 'pod is on the light side for how much weight it can hold, but at least for now, I have nothing larger than a 70-200 lens, and don't see myself with larger than a 300 anytime soon, so 30+ lbs is just fine. I also really like the little spring hook at the bottom of the middle column for hanging weight on... now I have a good place to hang my bag!!! Finally, I like that one leg unscrews and can be coupled with either the long or the short middle column piece to form an on-the-go monopod. Very cool! You can read all about the legs if interested, any review on the Internet. It's the Benro Travel Angel 2 series.

Next, head. A newish brand, Surui. I had 2 choices, the K20X or the K40X. After some thought and reviews, I opted for the overkill of the K40X... not that much more $ and better for future proof. Turns out after I purchased it, I could have gotten an in-between option the K30X, that likely would have been the best choice. Oh well, I'm fine with what I got.

Again, wow! Quality! Now I know what I've been missing using my old Manfrotto head! I still need to learn the intricacies of the whole friction fine tuning, but the whole head is solid, seems to be so well made, everything is smooth, smooth smooth! I think I'm going to really like it!

Now for those pics... :)

1. The ballhead
39818446122_7fb126d2f4_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
IMG_4172 by Shaun K., on Flickr
28071388769_fb45157628_b.jpg
IMG_4173 by Shaun K., on Flickr
39140633314_c46174bfb8_b.jpg
IMG_4174 by Shaun K., on Flickr

2. The 'pod
28071388269_3fc966e53e_b.jpg
IMG_4175 by Shaun K., on Flickr

3. The 'pod with the head
39818445362_9deb33bc74_b.jpg
IMG_4176 by Shaun K., on Flickr

And just to add; both items came in very nice packaging... the ballhead resides in a decent poly-something drawstring pouch and the tripod came with a very nice little carrying case. Not particularly useful for most applications, but for storage at home, very handy. I do with the ballhead had come with one more plate, but that's nitpicking on a very nicely priced item.

Looks very good and most importantly a tripod that you like will get carried and used :)

Enjoy your new toys! Finding a tripod and head (I actually use two heads at the same time for my tabletop photography) that fits your needs can make the photography process so much more enjoyable than struggling with equipment that doesn't fit your needs.

a (hopefully) good pair of legs

Just imagine how effective three legs could be. :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy your new toys! Finding a tripod and head (I actually use two heads at the same time for my tabletop photography) that fits your needs can make the photography process so much more enjoyable than struggling with equipment that doesn't fit your needs.

Just imagine how effective three legs could be. :ROFLMAO:
Haha... pair, set. Yeah. 3 is gooder than 2!

Latest threads

Top Bottom