Benro C-058EX C-Series EX

Anyone have experience with this tripod? Can't seem to find any reviews online. Looking for something that is light weight for hiking, but still a reasonable all-around tripod. I'll be using a D700 and a Pentax 67 on it. This seems to be a good fit - only 2 lbs, reasonable height, hook for hanging stuff for extra stabilization, flip locks which I prefer.

http://www.adorama.com/BE452058.html

The "golden rule" with tripods is you can get two out of three of lightweight, inexpensive and stable. That Benro gives you lightweight and inexpensive, so stability is probably going to suffer, especially since it's a four section tripod and you plan on using a Pentax 67 as well. Add in the fact that Benro doesn't have the best reputation, and I'd stay away from that tripod.

The Benro you've linked looks like it's comparable in size to a Gitzo series 0, with upper tubes that are only 20mm or so. That's tiny -- almost table tripod territory, and the extended legs will be pencil size. The Gitzo that GH41 links is a series 2, with 28mm upper tubes. That's the minimum I'd even consider with a Pentax 67, which has a huge mirror assembly that generates a lot of vibration. You might consider going one step bigger, to something like the GT3541LS, which is sturdier still.

I have a Benro 058. Not the EX, I think the difference is that mine has twist locks and the EX has flip locks.

Anyway, it's not exactly stable. I'd never put anything approaching a medium format SLR on it. I've got a horrible head on mine, but with a better head, I'd say that it can sort of handle an ungripped body with a 24-70 or similar. It will technically support a gripped body with a 70-200, but not particularly well. If you eat, sleep, and breathe tripod shooting, and you need the smallest possible tripod, it's worth having, but only if you absolutely can't carry or pack anything larger.

Latest threads

Top Bottom