Bernie, Huan and the Hawk

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Nov 14, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

I had the pleasure of shooting with Bernie Campoli (aka Popeye) and Huan Pham today.
    44532700-O.

Bernie had his 800mm out today.

We had a fine time but I kept running into this broad-winged hawk who would not cooperate. I found him hanging out on signs three times and each time he flew off before I could get set
    44532707-O.

44532714-O.

Finally Bernie and Huan had to leave. I Had some time left so i went back to the Wetlands and there was that darn hawk again.
    44532717-O.

This time I was gonna get him. So with D2h and 500mm in hand I quietly got out of my car and with great stealth slid down the embankment on my butt. I got a tad closer
    44532722-O.

I then crawled a bit to get a bit closer yet
    44532727-O.

44532733-O.

at this point I was struck by the realization that the dang hawk Had been watching my every move. So I stood up and walked closer, the hawk didn't move. He didn't care. All my sliding and crawling had been wasted effort. I hate birds
    44532737-O.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Harry, but the real birds that you were with today are in your first image. :biggrin:

I've had the pleasure of shooting with both of these gentlemen, and they are perfect examples of the fine folks that you meet in this hobby. If you see them again, tell them I said Hi!! :smile:

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

nice shots as per you're usual wonderful work
    nice BIG lens on that 1st one, You want it bad don't ya ?? Sell me your 500 you'll be that much closer :biggrin:

4. They must be from down south cuz they're dressed like it's cold outside! :tongue:

Great shots Harry! I wish those kingfishers were more like this bird, letting you get a bit closer. I like the low-flying shot you got!!

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

As always the best part was the folks I was shooting with. In the last 4 days I've had the pleasure of shooting with 6 different Cafe members and it was a joy each time.

6. That is such a great story -- that old hawk just knew he had you goin', didn't he!! Wonderful photos, esp. that last one. I'm envious of you all in Florida who get to see such great birds all the time.

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Huan's from California, what more can I say?

Thanks Kevin. Forget about that lousy kingfisher. He's the evilest bird of them all.

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I think that what really happened is that you threw a net over the poor hawk just after taking the flight shot and glued its feet to that post. Anybody could take great shots that way! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

OK, I guess I believe your story. :smile: And that series is just sensational! :biggrin: Now please tell that bird to stay around until VIII.

Gordon

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Ben,

Amazingly enough I don't want the 800mm, just too much trouble to set up. I'll be keeping the 500mm. Of course if I had that 800 for the hawk shots I could have saved myself a lot of hassle.

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Andrea. Us floirdians are very lucky folk to be blessed with all these photo ops.

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Gordon,

I would never glue down a bird. Velcro works just fine. :biggrin:

Not to worry. I hav given all the birds strict instructions that none of them are aloowed to leave until the end of February.

12. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Harry,

Bernie and Huan called me at home (in NC) just before you showed up to meet them. Sounds like you guys had a good time (the best part of photography with friends). But it looks like Huan needs some help with his technique - he's looking through the wrong end of his equipment.

Joe

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    You have to realize that Huan's from California and those westies are easily confused. :biggrin: Bernie gave Huan a few useful tips and he was looking through the right end in a snap.

14. huanpham

huanpham Guest

To Kevin and Harry

15. huanpham

huanpham Guest

Ooooops, no wonder I did not catch any birds. They all looked like specks. Thanks Joe, for watching my back. That's what friend is for.

Huan