1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best $11 I have spent on camera gear....

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by RickW, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I just received GGS glass covers for LCD screens on my D700. Perfect fit and world's better than the stupid plastic clip on covers that Nikon insists on putting on its cameras other than the D3.

I have a D3 and love the fact that I don't need the cover. On my previous Nikon bodies (D2's), I used the Da Protectors which worked quite well. But the GGS unit is glass, not acrylic and the fastening system is easier to use.

I cannot remember the last time I bought anything pertaining to Nikon that costs only $11.

Perhaps Nikon ought to order a couple of hundred thousand of these things from Hong Kong (I am sure the price in bulk would be far less than $11) and just add the extra $11 (less the cost of the piece of cr*p plastic that they now install) to the cost of the D700? Reminds me of the days Nikon used to charge $4,000 for an F5 or D2h and include a garbage, white body cap in the box rather than a "real" black cap.

2. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you have a link for this?

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Subscribing

4. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
  5. how does it fasten? Can you post a pic?

6. Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  7. Debbi

Debbi Guest

I'm so glad I saw this thread. I have bought these twice for my D300's but now need them for the D700. Thanks for the reminder!

8. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

Just to note, I installed my first GGS just slightly crooked on my D300. Being quite anal, I purchased another one and installed it more carefully.

The first one came off with no problem using a credit card to work the edges, then a lens cleaner to remove the excess residue. Took about 5 minutes to remove the GGS and clean the factory glass. It can't be reused after removing it. It's also tough to break and scratch! (I did some experimentation since I couldn't reuse it.) ;-)

Install it in a dust free area so you don't get dust between it and the factory glass.

9. Next time you try to remove one, use dental floss instead of a credit card. Way easier.

10. gunfighter48

gunfighter48 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.