best 8.00 investment for landscaper

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Doug, May 27, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I bought a head net designed for amazon like protection from gnats and other flying insects, people probably thought I was nuts passing by a hooded man, but do I care? LOL.

It was soooo great not to be pestered by tiny gnats at the streams edges. I tend to have a lot of facial persperation in heavy humidity at times, and that just attracts gnats worse!

The smokies is REALLY bad about this, as technically it is a rain forest. I'll be using my net a lot more, that's for sure. You can put over a hat, or you can just sling over your head. I also found I could lift up over camera, and add some shielding from sun rays for my viewfinder protection. Excellent!!!

Very cool, even if strange feeling wearing it at times. Strangely though, not one person yelled hey you idiot to me at roadside during a 30 minute shoot...

I can get brand if no one can find one. I got mine at blueridgemountainsports.

Places not to wear it? Well, banks and fed buildings come to mind, :eek:

2. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I am waiting for a picture of Doug wearing this!

3. Actually this is a very useful tool Doug for the very reasons you mention. I have several pieces of gear like it such as netting for gloves. Taking the extra time that these accessories allow you can make all the difference in the images one will get.
    Dave

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    That's exactly right Dave, standing there, I could take ALL the time I wanted fiddling with my lens, tri-pod, camera without worry of gnats flying in my eyes, up my nose, etc! Around this water, it can be like sespool gnats, if that makes sense. Also, last year while staning still setting up I got bit by a tiger mosquito 2 times. It's my understanding these are MEANER than any other, and the bite can really be aggrevating! ITCH like CRAZY, and for a week or two! If you want to really get to the list of entire possibilities, dropping an expensive camera out of one hand while trying to swat a big with the other is NOT out of the realm of possibilities.

So, laugh all you want monkey man, Dave and I will get the money shots, haha.

(Monkey man is a reference to John's affinity for zoo visitations. I swear I think he has a long lost brother there in the primate section he goes so much. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2007
  5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I resemble that remark!

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    ah haha. :)

7. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Nice idea. Nothing like being rushed because the no-see-ums, etc are biting the ^&#$ out of you. Also, I would recommend LL Beans "buzz off" clothes. The stuff works and helps suppress the little buggers. If anyone ever asks why you're wearing that stuff, tell 'em: "I hear the killer bees are near".

8. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
  9. Cabelas.com is another good source. Most of mine was originally purchased for turkey hunting but now used as Doug suggests. here is a link to one head cover

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Mine is called "Sea to Summit" Head Net. Yesterday I picked up a Columbia lightweight brimmed hat with a draw string fitting system to wear under the net. Now, I'm jammin!

Really,these are so simple, I just say get the cheapest price you can,it's all netting that is pretty much equivilent.

actually, I could drive with mine on, I wouldn't drive far I Was on a gravel back stream road, but I could see just fine. Looking through a viewfinder it gets a little darker.

Saw a lot of bugs flying around my face today, none got in though.. When I got back in the car once and took it off, I saw one on it, lol. Maybe a mosquito, not sure on it.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  11. Doug, I was trying to save money, so while shooting the waterfalls, I just wore a plastic bag over my head.....I was found floating down river with a D70s in one hand, and a Bogen in the other.....think I'll go with the netting next time.....I'm okay though, though, though, though,

12. Ya'll have NO CLUE about mosquitos until you live around the rice fields of the Arkansas delta. I work with a guy who's traveled around the world, and he tells me that the only place that has worse mosquitos is Alaska. I'm not sure if I buy that, because when I drive home every night, the sound coming from my windshield sounds like rain. Either way, I'll be checking out these sites for mosquito-proofing myself. Thanks for the links.