Best beginner digital photo book??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I have a friend (the boss's wife actually) that is new to photography and wants to buy a good book that covers the basics of shutter, aperture, ISO, EV comp, etc. for digital cameras (she has a D70). I could go by the bookstore and thumb through books, but thought someone here might recommend a favorite book that will get her started on the right foot.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated (and might keep me employed :rolleyes:).

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Paul. Sunita is sharp, and is very motivated (she wants to take pics of her son's sports activities). She understands the very, very basics, but needs a little help coming up to speed. I'll check out these books on Amazon.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    How about Thom Hogans e-book for the D70.

There is a trememdous amount of information on the net with a google search.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale, I thought of that, but I'm not sure that Thom's book is so much about how shutter, aperture, ISO, and EV Comp interact to give the proper exposure, and how fast lenses, or AF-S lenses are better for sports, but about how the D70 controls work. I'll give it to her as a suggestion though.

She's already Googled the world, but is overwhelmed by the number of choices.

Thanks!!

6. Maybe I shouldn't answer so you do get fired then can move down here!!! :eek:

But, being the kind-hearted soul I am.....What about "Understanding Exposure" by Scott Peterson (I think?). It explains in good detail how shutter speeds and apertures correlate. Then makes you think about the shot you're about to take so you make the correct choices to ensure you get the results you desire.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I'll check it out. Thanks Kevin.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a great book that Kevin brings up. I have it and need to read it again. It is a good reference for going back to.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Paul,

At this point, learning by rote may be the best thing. Full understanding will come with time, but for now, she needs to know how to set the camera (up until now, she's been shooting in the 'Sports' mode). :smile:

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    opppps missed your post Paul.

Yes numbers and cook book.

Ya know the first time I make a new dish I go by the instructions. then I experiment with other variables of ingredients.
    Guess some of us dummies need that :>)))))

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale, you know that you are anything but a dummy. Neither is Sunita. OTOH, photography with an SLR is not a trivial pursuit for those with zero experience. As you so wisely point out, using 'cook book' instructions to get a feel for the process is a good way to gain a better understanding of the factors associated with taking good images.

I certainly remember when I first started with the D70. I understood what shutter speed and aperture were and what they did, but I had no idea of what images taken with the various settings would really look like. It can really be overwhelming for a raw beginner. :rolleyes:

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank 1 and 1 half years ago I did not even know what an f stop was.

I had to memorise. Big number little hole, less light. Little number, big hole, lots of light. eeeekkkkk

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    As DWM would say, 'exakery'....:wink:

15. I have the book but haven't picked it up in a long while. As I recall, it helped me to understand how to choose the settings based on what it was that I was trying to capture. Great dof, shallow depth of field, stop-action, motion blur, etc. It gave me a foundation to shoot manual. Of course you, Frank, were the one who pushed me over the edge and encouraged me to try "out in the field" at the Rookery in St Augustine. Maybe she just needs a session with you to learn the ropes. :smile:

16. Hi Frank

I am a big fan of the Freeman Patterson books. Freeman is an eastern Canadian, but still not a bad guy. His books and photography are poetic, combining artiistry and discipline. Each book describes the process of how each photo was taken. The first book, "Photography for the joy of it" covers all the basics. The book was written well before digital photography, but all the principles still apply. Beyond that, Freeman will help you see the world in a different fashion.

I periodically go back to his books and find it very worthwhile.

ISBN 0-442-29883-8 bd.

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin,

I hope to get together with her next Saturday at her son's next game. :rolleyes:

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,
    You will teach her more in one after noon than anything else.

You know from RR session ther is nothing better than being with a PERSON.

books a re great. But gotta be with someone.

Like Kevin, thank you for getting me to shoot manual.

I just love you, you ol' flew you... :>)))))

I just can't wait to see you again.

Thank You so much for sharing.

The Mayor is waiting........

19. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Frank,

A couple of years ago I bought the book "how to take great photographs with any camera" by Jerry Hughes.

It starts with the basics and is a pretty good beginner book. I'd be happy to pass this one along to Sunita. It covers, p&s, dslr, slr, and video. Good for understanding aperature, iso, etc.

I'll bring it to work tomorrow.

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, I love you too Gale, you old photo pal. Can't wait to get back to Vieraville. :wink:

Patrick, That would be great. How about lunch tomorrow?