Best body for pro studio work: D300, D700 or D2X?

I own a D300 but crave a pro body. I'm not dissatisfied with the images I get from my D300 especially with my AI-S glass.

However, I've heard from many people that until the release of the D3, the D2X was the body to own and that many fashion photographers use and prefer it over other Nikon bodies.

I don't want to replace the D300 (at least not yet) but I'm thinking of adding a D2X for my studio work. I'm not at all concerned with high ISO performance and since the D2X has a native ISO 100 I probably would be using ISO 100 and ISO 200 and never anything higher.

I've discovered that I really like the feel of the pro body but a D3 just isn't in the mix because of cost. It's just too much for me to spend at this time.

So the question is this: If you were going to pick the body of choice for studio work would it be to stick with the D300, go to the D700 or get a D2X. I realize the D300 and D700 don't have the grip of the pro body feel but I'm factoring in the feel and of course, image quality.

I'm not familiar with the D2X software and one question that comes to mind is how does it handle the non-CPU lenses? The D300 and D700 have the software for non-CPU lens presets? Is this software in the D2X and if not, how do you work with theses lenses?

G

gladjo

D300. IMO. I have a friend with a studio in Key West. He shoots with a D70.
His art sells from 200 to 600 a pop. I have one of his works blown up to (I believe) 16x20 and it looks mah-ve-lus. No disrespect but the coolness factor ain't gonna make em any better. D300 is a great camera, use it. :smile:

It's not that the D300 doesn't perform well. I have heard from so many about the color rendition of the D2X and the images being a world apart. Are you guys saying this isn't true?

Also, part of the plan is to replace the D70 and keep the D300 but I'm not a big fan of the feel of a D300 with the grip and in the studio I shoot almost exclusively in portrait orientation.

I haven't tried the D2X picture controls in the D300 so I can't comment on that.

I find this initial response interesting because so many seem to praise the D2X as something very special, and the pro body durability and feel are attractive.

Also, based on pricing, in terms of having an excellent second body the D700 is quite expensive and another D300 is reasonable but more than I would pay for the D2X I have my eye on.

D300. IMO. I have a friend with a studio in Key West. He shoots with a D70.
His art sells from 200 to 600 a pop. I have one of his works blown up to (I believe) 16x20 and it looks mah-ve-lus. No disrespect but the coolness factor ain't gonna make em any better. D300 is a great camera, use it. :smile:

I'm not doing any of this for the coolness factor. It's all about image quality and the work I find myself doing in the studio.

It's not that the D300 doesn't perform well. I have heard from so many about the color rendition of the D2X and the images being a world apart. Are you guys saying this isn't true?

Also, part of the plan is to replace the D70 and keep the D300 but I'm not a big fan of the feel of a D300 with the grip and in the studio I shoot almost exclusively in portrait orientation.

I haven't tried the D2X picture controls in the D300 so I can't comment on that.

I find this initial response interesting because so many seem to praise the D2X as something very special, and the pro body durability and feel are attractive.

Also, based on pricing, in terms of having an excellent second body the D700 is quite expensive and another D300 is reasonable but more than I would pay for the D2X I have my eye on.

I have never shot a D2x either so I really can't comment on that. I was just curious if you had tried it and wether you found any difference when you went to post.

I have read other posts where people stated that they preferred the D2x over newer models for studio, and D100s also for that matter.

Are you where you could rent/borrow one for a weekend to try it out? Everyone has a slightly different workflow and feel that they want to achieve so this may be the only way to truly find out whether it fits your needs.

I would hate for you to buy one and find you really didn't like it. It's not a problem unless you have to take a hit when trying to sell it.

Good luck on finding your answer... I'll follow this thread.

Thanks Roy,

I might not have presented all the facts in the best way possible. As I said before, I'm not dissatisfied with my D300 and plan on keeping it. In fact, I love it.

Part of this upgrade (or whatever you want to call it) is to replace the D70, which is currently my second body. I can't use my AI-S glass on the D70 and would like to be able to put any lens on any camera.

In the studio I use manual focus 99.9% of the time. The price I can get the D2X for is very attractive and is significantly less than a D700 as well as less than a D300.

So what I should have asked is if replacing the D70 with a D2X in mint condition with low mileage is a good move considering my needs. Many people like the feel of the D300 grip. I was not one of them. So the other thing I like about the D2X is the built i vertical grip. Most of my studio shooting is in portrait orientation and I really like the feel of the pro body for that.

Based on this information it seems awfully attractive, and ultimately gives me a D300 and D2X for my bodies rather than a D70 and D300.

Oh yes, I can and will have the opportunity to shoot with the D2X before I commit or buy.

Thanks Roy,

I might not have presented all the facts in the best way possible. As I said before, I'm not dissatisfied with my D300 and plan on keeping it. In fact, I love it.

Part of this upgrade (or whatever you want to call it) is to replace the D70, which is currently my second body. I can't use my AI-S glass on the D70 and would like to be able to put any lens on any camera.

In the studio I use manual focus 99.9% of the time. The price I can get the D2X for is very attractive and is significantly less than a D700 as well as less than a D300.

So what I should have asked is if replacing the D70 with a D2X in mint condition with low mileage is a good move considering my needs. Many people like the feel of the D300 grip. I was not one of them. So the other thing I like about the D2X is the built i vertical grip. Most of my studio shooting is in portrait orientation and I really like the feel of the pro body for that.

Based on this information it seems awfully attractive, and ultimately gives me a D300 and D2X for my bodies rather than a D70 and D300.

Oh yes, I can and will have the opportunity to shoot with the D2X before I commit or buy.

Based on this Robert, I'd say definately give it a shot. I have had a D200 with a grip, and now have 2 D300s with grips. While the D300 grip is light years ahead of the D200 grip it still doesn't feel like a pro body w/built in v/grip. I have played with a D2h and if the grip on the D2x is anything like that you'll love it. Though the D300 grip has the rubber pad where you hold it, but it still is not rounded off/cotoured like the D2h.

Besides that I'd take a D300/D2x combo over the D300/D70 combo any day.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom