Best Cam / Lens Strap??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flew, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I now carry both D2H's when I shoot; one on the tripod and one in my backpack. When I get to where I'm shooting though, I would like to wear the one with the 70-200VR on it on a strap around my neck. I've put the D2H strap on the cam, but it isn't all that comfy, and I really don't like hanging the big lens from the front of the cam.

I've looked at the Kirk SS-1, but it is pretty steep. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

2. I use a Optech strap with the pro loop connectors through the Tripod foot of the 70-200, as shown here:

This Way you can quick mount it on a tripod without having to remove the strap!!!!:biggrin:

I have the same connectors on the cam and can change the strap from camera to lens or back, or use a second strap holding the lens alone:

Most times I use the Optech strap for the D70 and the Nikon strap with optech connectors for the 70-200 on my shoulder. This Way I have different straps for different uses: One well padded neoprene (Optech) for heavy gear, The Nikon for shoulder use (is longer and better for not slipping off the shoulder)...

here you see the optech connectors on the Nikon Strap:

Maybe this will help! :wink:

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Frank -

The UpStrap is by far the best strap for keeping a camera or lens from slipping off your shoulder. Pretty comfortable because of the wide piece of rubber. No quick release version yet, but apparently due out soon.

Gordon

4. Frank,
    I use a backpack and camera bag combo. You may want to try a deep bag or one of those bags that accomodate a camera and telephoto. This gets the camera off your neck and is handy. I used a setup like this while doing a lot of hiking in New Mexico. It enabled me to swap between two cameras easily and still carry my rain jacked, food, GPS, extra water, lens, flash etc in my backpack.

5. OpTech Pro

Very comfortable and sturdy.
    Much more comfortable than the Nikon straps - it'll feel like your load has been lightened by a couple pounds.

Don

6. Hi Frank,

I use a LowPro DeWitt Jones Chest Strap that goes around your chest and then around your lens with velcro. With the 70-200VR on the D100 I think it is about at its upper weight limit. I used the strap some when we were at Merritt Island in February but only had the much smaller 70-300 on it at the time .

The best features are that the camera and lens can not swing around when you walk and that you can quickly release the camera to shoot on the fly. I think it is now a discontinued item. I recently saw them for sale on a leftover table and picked up a couple extra, let me know if you want to see one. Less than $10.

Bob

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the excellent responses guys. All look great, but I really like the Op/Tech set-up. I don't need this for walking around, just for hanging the cam / lens around my neck while I'm at a shooting spot. Before moving to the next spot, I always put the second cam back in the Computrekker backpack.

Thanks again!!

8. photosketch

photosketch Guest

(Nikonians) Optech Prostrap with the loop connectors work great for me. The quick disconnects allow the loop connectors to be attached together to form a handy wrist strap.

9. Upstrap here too. And I've tried about five others.

Simple.
    Secure on the shoulder! Downright tenaceous.
    You could tow a truck with the strap and solid little hardware.

I particularly like the fact that they take up almost no room in the gear bag.

www.upstrap.com

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    The UpStrap looked pretty good, but didn't have the quick disconnect buckles, and didn't have the cool loops. The Kirk clamp strap that I almost ordered was $72 before shipping. I got two Op/Tech Pro Loop Straps and an additional two loop strap ends, with two day FedEx shipping for $74. I can equip both lenses and both cams with these, and move the two straps around as needed.

Is this place great or what? :smile:

Thanks again guys.

11. Is this place great or what?

YEP :^)

12. Well, I have the Optech Pro on both my camera bodies and love them. The only complaint I have is that the quick disconnects are not closer to the body end, I'd like the tags to be shorter when I remove the strap, which I do when I am mounted on a tripod.

I also have the Kirk SS-1 and I have to say that it is great as well, but I really like the idea of the Optech Pro for this as well, and may try this also keeping the SS-1 for emergency situations.

Frank, I was going to suggest all of this to you as things to look at and try, but I think the term "Day late and Dollar short" applies to this post, so feel free to ignore my sage advice should you choose....:wink:

And yeppers, this place ain't bad at all, not at all......

13. shootman

shootman Guest

Hmm! I wouldn't trust any 25¢ piece of plastic with my Nikon bodies or lenses. The reason Nikon doesn't make straps with QR's is precisely why you shouldn't use them, they will fail. Robust stitching or one continuous strap is the only secure way to tote the gear.

I use the tried and true over the shoulder with the lens snugly tucked out of harms way in the small of my back. My arm then also protects the camera body from banging on things when moving about.

14. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Lowepro has a camera strap that is made of stretchy neoprene like the OpTech (feels like wetsuit material), both are very comfortable with big lenses and D2~ bodies. The Lowepro is better IMHO because it has metal quick release clasps (not plastic) and they swivel so your strap can not get twisted.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Accessories/add_ons_upgrades/Neoprene_Camera_Strap.aspx

It comes in any color you want, so long as it's black. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2005
  15. i bought the op techs and will trust the clasps to hold or call my insurance company, any way the nikon strap is destined to twist and be in the way and a pain to put on and off. most of my work is without the strap.
    Dave

16. I use this same strap on our cameras. The metal clasps are spring loaded and will not unlock by themselves and clip onto metal rings. I do check that the fabric belting between the rings and the camera has not frayed or worn. The swivels keep the strap from twisting.

Bob

17. There's always 2 sides of the coin to see:

I wouldn't put a metal clasp on my camera because I don't like scratching my gear.

BTW:

There's "Plastic" and "Plastic":
    the shoulder strap of my Domke F2 is connected to the Bag by a "plastic thing",
    my bike helmet is closed with a "plastic" connector,
    the Body of my heavy used D70 is completely out of "Plastic".....
    and neither of them has failed me (yet:wink: )

But I once had the metal clasp of a travel Bags shoulder strap bent open while carrying it!

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

But I think everyone has to find his solution!

Most secure might be a welded steel-chain connected with carabiners!

18. I have used OP/Tech straps for over 10 years and the plastic has never failed.

19. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;