Best Cheap Wine !!

Having been drinking and falling down for decades, I consider myself an authority on "cheap" wine. I hereby nominate: Carlo Rossi - California Red, as the best bargain out there. 1.5L for a measly $12US and yes ... it's the fancy red stuff.

I'm also an expert on coffee and seafood ;) :D
If you know of something that comes close, do tell.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I've never had any Carlo Rossi wines, which is a shame considering that my grandfather's last name was Rossi. My nomination for an exceptional value is Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon. I can regularly buy it for $9.27, which with a 20% discount coupon becomes only $7.42. That's for a 750ml bottle. Not quite as cheap as your Carlo Rossi, but close.

We used to buy Carlo Rossi back in the mid 70's when we were in grad school, and one day a friend told us that we shouldn't be chilling the red. That began our long, expensive slide down the wine road. Back then it was $3 a gallon!

We have always had a quality control at our table as well as not near the table, buy majority vote we have come to the conclusion that if it stains the table cloth it passes quality control.
My campers choice was Rossi Pasiano, on sale for $5.99 a gallon, hell it cost that much for the glass bottle, it had been known to put you in the parking lot in just your underwear.

Decided to live a little and got a Litre and 1/2 of ... Peller Estates - Cabernet Merlot $14
Apparently they source out the grapes worldwide to get lowest/cheapest quality possible. Best NOT served, but if you must, let it breath for a couple hours :hungover:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We are cheap wine aficionados in this house. House white is Beringer Chardonnay, house red is Lindemann's Cabernet Sauvignon. Both run about $5-$6 for a 3/4 liter bottle. We buy in six-bottle lots to get a 10% discount at our local Kroger store.

We go a bit more upscale on weekends. :)

I've never had any Carlo Rossi wines, which is a shame considering that my grandfather's last name was Rossi. My nomination for an exceptional value is Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon. I can regularly buy it for $9.27, which with a 20% discount coupon becomes only $7.42. That's for a 750ml bottle. Not quite as cheap as your Carlo Rossi, but close.
I tried Carlo Rossi years ago. Also tried the Carnivor, but didn't care for it. But hey, everyone's taste is different. We like Ravenswood Vintner's Blend Zinfandel; runs about $9.50 in the local stores, but at Total Wine in Greensboro it's $7.97.

After seeing you recommendation and reading a few reviews of it, I picked some up this morning. It's on sale this week but with the provincial government having a monopoly on alcohol wholesale and running most liquor outlets, it's not the bargain it is in the USA.

The only cheap wine I can remember enjoying was the less than 2€ a litre stuff we got from the supermarket in France dispensed from a hose in the store to a BYO plastic container. But that was then (early 70s) this is now and if it's red, fuggedaboutit as the say in same obscure part of the US.

Having said (typed) that, there are two supermarket chains in the UK that source wines from wherever and package them at low cost, for example Aldi and Lidl's Clare Valley Riesling at under £5 a bottle. They remind me of when we lived in Australia and used to buy "cleanskins" from the wineries - these are leftovers from bottling runs for their named brands and if you get lucky are superb value.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom