Best Cheap Wine !!

I'm with Mike on Port...never cared for it. In fact, Sauternes is the only sweet wine I like, and I could not drink it with a sweet food...must have something to foil the sweetness, like toasted almonds.

And I don't eat chocolate.

Getting back on topic, this is my favorite inexpensive Italian wine. I get it for under $7 at my local Kroger grocery:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Getting back on topic, this is my favorite inexpensive Italian wine. I get it for under $7 at my local Kroger grocery:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I've got some left over pizza. Might be a match made in heaven. I'll see if they have it here.

Life is too long to drink cheap wine, or just have one favorite, or to stick to one country or region. Back in a previous life when I taught wine appreciation classes, I used to tell people 4 things: first drink lots of different wines and try them with food. Second, figure out why you like/dislike 'em. Third, wine change--in the bottle, from year to year, and after being opened. Finally, taste is a matter of taste.
Jim, it's not that some red wines are sweet per se, but rather they are over ripe (plump and jammy), over extracted and lack acid. The trend to fermenting for high alcohol is also to blame (alcohol enhances the sensation of sweetness), and finally the dastardly practice of over oaking wines :cry::dummy::hungover:
Inexpensive wines from Spain, Italy and southern France will knock the socks off of similarly priced domestic and most Australian wines. NZ and other southern hemisphere wines tend to be more drinkable (many are designed to compliment local cuisines). Wine from BC, especially whites, are coming in to their own.
These are my tastes and experiences; Yours will obviously differ. The only way to know is to drink lots and often! And drink outside your comfort zone (new wines, new regions)
Opinion | Why You Should Be Drinking Weird Wines

Ok, end of long rant that was fueled by 6 days of being away from my computer and camera (went down to Boise to help my daughter move into and set up her new house).

Interesting stuff, Nick!

it's not that some red wines are sweet per se, but rather they are over ripe (plump and jammy), over extracted and lack acid.
I like jammy wines, especially shiraz and similar grapes, but my concept of jammy is apparently different than yours. So, we'd need to be careful not to conflate the two contexts of jammy.

The trend to fermenting for high alcohol is also to blame (alcohol enhances the sensation of sweetness)
I've never noticed that alcohol enhances sweetness (remember that I don't taste details) but I don't like red wine with over about 14% alcohol unless it's wine such as Australian wines where the grapes are grown in a hot region.

the dastardly practice of over oaking wines :cry::dummy::hungover:
Fortunately, there is a strong trend, especially with California chardonnay, to resist doing that.

Inexpensive wines from Spain, Italy and southern France will knock the socks off of similarly priced domestic and most Australian wines.
Agreed, though I've pretty much given up on wine at any price from southern France.

Wine from BC, especially whites, are coming in to their own.
Recommendations of grape species, please.

Pinot Gris, Chard, Gewürtz, Riesling, Sauv Blanc and to a lesser extent Viognier and Pinot Blanc, are ones I've encountered. Very little oak, crsip apple and stone fruit flavors. Lot's of Northern Italian influence in the wine making.
The Okanagan region is tops.

About Jim's Barbera: I drink that grape as a lighter, fruitier, refreshing alternate to sangiovese when I'm in the mood for a less "serious" wine, which is often.

When pairing wine with pizza, I consider the pizza's ingredients. If the pizza is mostly veggies and tomato sauce, I'll drink Barbera or Sangiovese. If the pizza has red meat and tomato sauce, I'll drink shiraz, zin or a tuscany wine made partially with sangiovese. If the pizza is mostly veggies and no tomato sauce, I'll drink a white wine that seems to be a good fit with the veggies and the cheese.

About Jim's Barbera: I drink that grape as a lighter, fruitier, refreshing alternate to sangiovese when I'm in the mood for a less "serious" wine, which is often.

When pairing wine with pizza, I consider the pizza's ingredients. If the pizza is mostly veggies and tomato sauce, I'll drink Barbera or Sangiovese. If the pizza has red meat and tomato sauce, I'll drink shiraz, zin or a tuscany wine made partially with sangiovese. If the pizza is mostly veggies and no tomato sauce, I'll drink a white wine that seems to be a good fit with the veggies and the cheese.
Way way way too complicated.. Beer:D.

Makes sense to me. However, if you are talking Pizza Hut type of greasy pizza, then cheap zin or beer is king. I recently drank a Frisk, prickly Riesling (SE Australia) with a garlic-chicken pizza while at my daughters place in Boise (she's a non-red meat person). Delicious!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom