Best choices?

I'm in the market researching studio equipment - I'm thinking about alien bees - probably B800's or go with a "kit" from Promaster - I'm not looking at prices, I'm looking at the best for the $$. I don't want to be having to sell to upgrade later. Pocket Wizard has their non-ttl transceivers for about $99.
The promaster is digital and has 2 PD300 monolights. and a few other things - kit comes with 2 lights, modeling lamp
stands
2 18x27 soft boxes and of course the carrying bag.

I've always heard good things about Alien Bees over other brands. I'm open to suggestions. I do have some umbrellas, stands, - almost every thing except the lights and transceivers.

I just purchased two of these Einsteins the other day, Cybersync transmitter and receivers, two heavy duty stands, medium octobox and a large 30 x 60 softbox. Still waiting for them to arrive but based on the feedbacks that I have received, these will work out well. Maybe a little over kill for studio work but will work well if you need to work outdoors too. I'm still in the market for backdrop support but it looks like the manfrotto will be it.

The reason why I went with Einsteins are: Cheaper cost with the cybersyncs vs using AB strobes. Power supply is Auto Voltage (97 VAC to 220 VAC). I live in Japan and our voltage here is only 100 VAC instead of 120 VAC. The AB will have less optimal performance when used with 100 VAC.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/e640.php

http://www.paulcbuff.com/cybersync.php

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-314B-Background-Support-Black/dp/B001AQNPOG

I have the Alien Bees, 3 of the B800's...more than I will ever need to play in the basement! They work like a charm! I know the Einsteins are better, they came out later.

A few quick pics I took the other day...I am a nature Photographer but like to play with lights also when I can....still lots to learn. Used tissue paper between sofbox and subjects...dark on purpose.

studio041313__0140.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

studio041313__0145.jpg

studio041313__0153.jpg

...and one of our Doggie LuLu to keep the wife happy :wink:;

easter2013__0054.jpg

I think if you want to play anything is fine...If you are real serious and want to use it to make money go for the best...but just one opinion.

I have the Alien Bees, 3 of the B800's...more than I will ever need to play in the basement! They work like a charm! I know the Einsteins are better, they came out later.

A few quick pics I took the other day...I am a nature Photographer but like to play with lights also when I can....still lots to learn. Used tissue paper between sofbox and subjects...dark on purpose.

...and one of our Doggie LuLu to keep the wife happy :wink:;

http://decamp.net/dpr/easter2013__0054.jpg

I think if you want to play anything is fine...If you are real serious and want to use it to make money go for the best...but just one opinion.

Oh I hope you framed the one of LuLu! I haven't looked at the alien bees since before the Einsteins came out - I only knew about the 800's. I'm going to look closer at the Einsteins - may go with those! I'm wondering if I could start out with 1 and 2 of the "transceivers." Guess I'll use my old fashioned umbrellas when I have to.

Looks like a really nice set up! IF I manage the Einsteins, I may have to use the umbrellas for a while and save up for the softboxes. I haven't heard of the cybersync transmitters/recievers. How do they compare to pocket wizard?

Looks like a really nice set up! IF I manage the Einsteins, I may have to use the umbrellas for a while and save up for the softboxes. I haven't heard of the cybersync transmitters/recievers. How do they compare to pocket wizard?

The Cybersync system is awesome! I couldn't be more pleased. The receivers are only about $30 each and allow for the lights to be adjusted remotely. The transmitter is more costly (about $175 if I recall). But, they have never failed me and I find them easy to use. The transmitter also has a handy light meter built into the back.

Glenn

The cyber commander is too complicated for me. I find it faster and easier to adjust the lights manually instead of learning how to control the remote. So I am now returning the cyber commander and just get the transmitter.

well I may just have to keep saving the $$ - so far, my subjects are asking for outdoor stuff so that will be easy enough. I can still get my sb800 off camera and use one of my light spheres with diffuser pointed at the subject. In July though, I will have to have lighting down for sure.

The Cyber Commander's interface is not the most intuitive device I've ever used, but it just takes a little time to play around with it. Full control of the flash power and modeling lamps remotely plus a flash meter that's consistent with my Sekonic for $175. I use the CyberSync on the camera and just carry to Commander in my pocket.

Latest threads

Top Bottom