1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best D300 Non-CPU Set Up for 75-150mm Zoom

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by TucsonBob, Jun 28, 2008.

1. What's the best way to set up the D300 to use the Nikon 75-150mm lens?

Thanks,
    TucsonBob

2. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

i dont know if theres a best way but one way is to shoot in manual mode or aperture priority mode.second turn off AF.Not sure if matrx metering works but spot dose and remember tostop down the lens a stop or 2 for max resolution. carfuly focus.

3. I think you need to input new values for focal length and maximum aperture after changing the zoom position.

4. I believe if you're not using a 'variable' aperture zoom - like the 75-150 E - then setting the focal length, I think to the longest, and then it's widest aperture in the D300's manual lens menu setup will allow for accurate metering but the exif data won't be correct.

5. I did it the other way around, on the Tamron SP 35-80 f/2.8-3.5,
    I set the lens at the widest (35mm) and to the largest aperture which was f/2.8.
    It seems to meter OK but will report that all shots are at 35mm...

This shot was at 180mm but the EXIF shows it to be at 35mm but it does show the correct F stop...
    Just check the EXIF data...:smile:
    2619824094_6262c5b832_o.

Part of the Exif data...
    Image input equipment model: NIKON D300
    Exposure time: 2
    F number: 5.6
    Lens focal length: 35
    Focal length in 35 mm film: 52

6. Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. I'll run some tests and see what technique(s) works best.

7. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    I set my 75-150 to somewhere in-between (105mm?). Seems to work fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.