Best DSLR to throw around and beat up

So I just received my shiny new D7000 and have a D5100 on the way. Im planning a few trips on a boat and the beach so Im looking for a good DSLR that I can use with an 18-70 as a beat around camera. I was thinking the D70 or D70s since they are so cheap now (are they weather sealed?). I used to have a D50 which I liked alot so thats another option. I think the D40 is going to be fragile because of its size. Am I missing any other options here?

I use my D40x as my beat around. It's a surprisingly tough little thing even though it's all plastic. It's survived shooting a number of violent "public disturbances", as well as taking a brief dunk in water.

Grab a used Fuji S5Pro which gives you the weather sealing and holds the blown highlights while out on the water. I shoot it, and shoot on the water. That camera has been dunked, waved and splashed to no ends. Keeps on ticking.

So I just received my shiny new D7000 and have a D5100 on the way. Im planning a few trips on a boat and the beach so Im looking for a good DSLR that I can use with an 18-70 as a beat around camera. I was thinking the D70 or D70s since they are so cheap now (are they weather sealed?). I used to have a D50 which I liked alot so thats another option. I think the D40 is going to be fragile because of its size. Am I missing any other options here?

The D40 is small, but the polycarb it is made from is very strong, its a pretty durable little camera, i had one, they can take quite a bit of abuse. It certainly wont fall apart because you took it to a beach. lol

The D70/D70s have the same build quality as the D40, they are just a little bigger. None of them have weather sealing, but some cheap opteka rainsleeves are always nice to have in your bag.

If you are planning to use AF-S lenses and dont need off camera flash, i would go with the D40. If you are using AF lenses, the D70 is probably your best bet.

D70's can be had for a couple hundo on ebay

If you're about to drop, kick and dropkick your camera around, I suggest one of the lighter polycarb cameras. Polycarbonate is a very tough material and on top of that it is elastic, unlike cast magnesium.

If you make a drop test to concrete floor from three feet, I am willing to bet* that, say a light D90, will come out bouncing happily and unharmed, but a heavy, full metal D3x will either dent or crack.

*) footnote: you bring the cameras and I'll make a $5 bet, and supervise the test :tongue:

If you make a drop test to concrete floor from three feet, I am willing to bet* that, say a light D90, will come out bouncing happily and unharmed, but a heavy, full metal D3x will either dent or crack.

Somebody is probably going to attack you at any moment!

Be at the ready!!!!
:m66:

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of any Canon for your beater camera. Nikons deserve better. :wink:

If you're about to drop, kick and dropkick your camera around, I suggest one of the lighter polycarb cameras. Polycarbonate is a very tough material and on top of that it is elastic, unlike cast magnesium.

*) footnote: you bring the cameras and I'll make a $5 bet, and supervise the test :tongue:

I've dropped a D70 from 3 feet, dead. I've had a D2H fly 30 feet and land on pavement, survive! I'll take magnesium alloy any day!

I've dropped a D70 from 3 feet, dead. I've had a D2H fly 30 feet and land on pavement, survive! I'll take magnesium alloy any day!

It depends on how it lands! You were not lucky with the D70 and real lucky with the D2! GH

he is lucky that D2 did not land on somebodys head either. lol. im sure that would have been fatal!

That's what I was thinking!!! :eek:

To the OP: if by abusing you mean the "normal" abusing a camera will take, I'd take a D2/D3 series anyday... I have both the D2X and the D70s... no comparison. And that little D70s is very well built, esp. compared to other companies' equivalents!!!

The D2H has no competitors if you want a "knock-around camera." I have one and think it is fantastic...and love the small file size. Don't underestimate the 4.1 MP. I use it a lot at a zoo where people bump into you and there is always the chance of banging the camera against a post or whatever. Great camera.

another vote for the Magnesium bodies here :smile:
i started out with a D200 & have since added a D2Xs & if anybody ever tried mugging you for them you could use either camera to bludgeon them to death & the D2x to hammer the nails into their coffin. Rock Solid :smile:

i should mention, while doing a rig shot on the car, the suction cups gave up on me and my d200 fell to the ground while the car was in movement going 5mph, but nonetheless it survived the impact with only a minor scratch!will prob get another one in the near future as a backup.

Get a Nikon F3, it's indestructible. :wink:

EDIT - I didn't realize you asked for digital. Get a D1x..

The D1x is an absolute brick! Mine has been rained on, dropped..and still tickin! my only complaint with this camera is the LCD size, and resolution. Not much of use in the bright sun.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom