1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best end result for processing NEFs. ACR with camera profile or NX2?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by carauction, Aug 18, 2009.

1. I presently shoot Raw using ACR. I have a beautiful script that I made when I first got my D300/D3, and have never looked back. Was wondering if any out there have made a really nice camera profile to place in the camera calibration tab in ACR as I did, and compared your final output to that of a nicely processed image using NX2?

I am happy with my present results and workflow. But often see stunning results from NX2, and wonder if I am missing anything by not using NX2.

much appreciated,

Mike

Note: I posted this on another forum, but wasn't certain which would be best.

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I've only used ACR and am interested in responses to your question. In the meantime would you share some details of your script?

I'd like to try it!

3. The camera profile for my D3 was made from a Rags script. You need to shoot a Gretag Macbeth color checker, and then run the installed script. It all can become a bit overwhelming, but the bottom line is that a well made script gives you better color accuracy and a nice, pleasant pop to your images.

Mike

Here are some links:

http://www.photoactivity.com/Pagine/Articoli/023 Calibratori al sole/Calibratori al sole_en.asp

http://www.rags-int-inc.com/PhotoTechStuff/AcrCalibration/

4. Yes, I have them downloaded and have given them a try.

I happen to like the custom script profiles that I made. My original reason for making the profiles were for more accurate color. But over time I am seeing wonderful imagery from NX2, and am rethinking if NX2 provides better overall quality image, even is not as accurate in color as my profiles.

Mike

5. Mike, I was not meaning the camera profiles supplied but using the Editor to create your own, the Adobe Techs suggest that you can attain greater results than using the scripts - that is why they developed the Editor.

6. Sorry Kiwi, I misunderstood.

No, I have not used the Profile editor. I don't think I want to go there. I am satisfied with my color that I derived from my Rags script.

Just hoping that there might be someone who has a camera profile made from either the Editor, or from the same script writers that I have linked. And perhaps compare their experiences between NX2 and their very much liked camera profiles using ACR.

Something tells me that I am destined to download the free trial for NX:rolleyes: 

Thanks,

Mike

7. Mike, that is a loaded question.

I use Lightroom 2.4 with the camera profiles (same engine as ACR) because I shoot large amounts of files and LR gives me a very good workflow and a very good file at the end. NX2 seems to pull a little extra out of the NEF's because well, it's the manufacturers software so they don't need profiles or reverse engineering to get everything just right. But, while the images from NX2 may be a little better, the workflow for multiple images in NX2 is absolutely painful. I personally don't see a big enough difference in print to warrant using NX2 over LR/ACR.

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Raw conversions, NX rating of 99.9 out of 100, the new ACR is probably 95/100 with a touch more work than NX, still very very very good,

Speed.......

Huge difference, NX 80, ACR 98

Pick your poison, either system have workflows that work,l and you can get superior results with both, I just provided a number for presenting my opinion as a reference

9. how do you guy sharpen out side of NX2?

I found that without the in camera settings applied from the start to the NEF i could not get the same results :frown: startign in Photo shop

10. Check out this thread

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.