Best external hard drive?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Steve S, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Looking for recomendations for a fast, reliable usb2/firewire external hard drive with an on/off switch. Need 250-300 gigs.

2. I love my Seagate 500GB eSATA external drive... super quick and reliable. You can find it here at buy.com. They come in smaller sizes (300GB) as well, but I'd always double what you think you'll need.

3. I've always built my own. I have four 320GB Seagates in powered USB2/FW boxes. Never had a failure yet. Maxtors - another story! :eek:

4. G-Technology G-Drives are excellent, especially if you are using a Mac. On-off switch, 400 FW, 800 FW, USB2 (depends upon which model you buy), 250 GB, 500 GB....

5. I love my 500GB Western Digital "My Book". It even shuts down when my PC shuts down so no on/off switch is needed.

6. HAC_X

HAC_X Guest

Personally I like LaCie products..

http://www.lacie.com/us/index.htm

Cheers
    Harold

7. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    A number of outlets have had some excellent deals recently for LaCie drives. I have seen 500GB external LaCie drives as low as $125. I personally am a fan of Seagate drives. Avoid Maxtor like the plague (even though Seagate bought them a couple years ago).

8. There are many different kinds, and all will work, however I personally feel G-Tech is the best.......especially their RAID set-ups, like the new G-Safe.....

But I will warn you you will pay through the nose, and once you have one you will be hooked. I will say that Storage is one of the things I will pay top dollar for, as I never want to loose a file.

GenoP

9. Way are Maxtor drives so bad? I have one and you've got me worried. Mine is about a year and has been trouble free.

Anthony

10. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I have owned four Maxtor drives. All of them failed around the 1 year mark. If it fails before the 1 year mark, you can get it replaced for free. If it fails after the 1 year mark, the warranty expires and you have to purchase a new one. Seagate drives have a 5 year warranty. I lost two and had them replaced for free, no hassles.

Drives will fail. Have no illusions.

11. I own about 25 or 30 drives of all brands.

I can't remember the last failure. I think it was a drive in a laptop where I didn't give the drive any time off. And it didn't fail so much as start making noise so I replaced it.

So far as Maxtor goes, do realize they were bought by Seagate. I happen to know a hard disk firmware engineer who worked for Maxtor and now works for Seagate. I order the drives he tells me to.

They are constantly changing them design wise. All of them.

Last drives I bought were Seagate 500s. Case wise I use whatever. I have a few G-techs, but all they really provide is the case.

Coolest drive case I have is a new Quad MacPro I just bought. Holds four of them. :biggrin: I also use an external SATA case with removable bays on my Windows PC.

12. Hey, Beezle, congrats on the new Mac Pro!!!! :smile: Yep, that makes a dandy HD receptacle, doesn't it?! LOL!!!