1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best Film Scanner for MF and LF under $1K?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by ssloansjca, Jul 16, 2008.

1. ssloansjca

ssloansjca

May 17, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    I am looking for a film scanner that will make serious high res scans of mostly black and white negs for less that $1,000. I am considering the Mikrotek Artixscan M1. I like that it has no glass between the scan element and the film and it autofocuses on the film (yes, film curls and does not always lay flat)

This is a serious purchase for me. Any ideas?

~Steve

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You can also look at the Mikrotek i900 which uses the same glassless setup as the M1. I use a Microtek i800 for anything bigger than 35mm, and for contact prints. It has a glass platen, but seems to do a good job. I would estimate it's resolution is good up to about 3200, rather than the 4800 they claim. The Nikon 5000 ED has an excellent 4000 lpi resolution, and is just over a thousand dollars.

3. ssloansjca

ssloansjca

May 17, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    Isn't the Nikon 5000 ED for 35mm? I am looking for a good one for MF (Medium Format) and LF (Large Format.) I have a Coolscan V which I love for 35mm. I want it for 120 - 4x5 and am not happy with my Epson as dust on the platen is an issue and the colors are blah.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh shoot - yeah. I guess I should read closer. :( 

So just skip the last sentence of my last post. Check out the glass-less Microteks.

5. ssloansjca

ssloansjca

May 17, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Chris101. Yes, I am getting closer to taking the leap into getting a Microtek! Oh, you have a nice blog too, I checked it out.

~Steve

6. The one downside that I see to the M1 is the lack of Ice for film use. Other than that it appears to be a great scanner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.