1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

best filter for sunny hazy day?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by wilson44512, Aug 25, 2008.

1. wilson44512

wilson44512

Jan 24, 2008
    N.E.Ohio
    i have the TAMRON AF70-300MM F/4-5.6 Di LD MACRO lens. and wonder what filter would be best for sunny hazy days. i have a sunpak 62MM ultraviolet on it now. and it don't seem to help.

2. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm not a fan of UV filters for any reason.. And the undisputed king of filters will be the circular polarizer..

What is your subject matter?

3. wilson44512

wilson44512

Jan 24, 2008
    N.E.Ohio
    i mostly sit in my backyard and take pix of the birds and animal. but i go to the parks once in a while. i like taking pictures of almost every thing lol

4. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    To maximize the benefits of a polarizer, you should be at about a 45-90 degree angle to the sun. Easy to set-up like this if you are shooting perched birds...less so for birds in flight.

Not too many filters that would be needed for birds and small animals. Maybe a polarizer to deepen the colors of the birds and foliage. Or, MAYBE a Neutral Density filter if you are shooting in super bright light, but not a requirement..

I'd stay with the Cir Pol or no filter at all.

5. The only time I use filters is when I am shooting landscapes. Otherwise never. I do not have a filter on my 70-300VR normally. With landscapes I might use a polarizer, ND or graduated ND filter. Your lens is already pretty slow at 300, f6.3, so you would want to shoot at at least f7.1 or f8.0 to get as much quality as you can so cutting your light with any kind of filter would not be a good idea, IMHO. Also, you would not want to be shooting at midday. You want early morning or late, late afternoon light.

Nancy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.