1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best Filters?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sagar, Jul 6, 2008.

1. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    I recently bought 18-200 from Don at FM. And while lens is on the way, I am wondering which would be best UV and polarise filter for it?

PS: I am not sure if this Q should be in this forum. if not please move it to right forum ;) 

2. You have various options. Some of the better brands include B+W or Nikon's own range of filters.

3. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Thanks Simon how nikon one compares to B+W

4. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Sagar...

I use a 72-77mm step up ring and a 77mm Hoya Super HMC on the 18-200. The wider filter prevents vignetting and the 77mm filter size is useful for other Pro glass like the 24-70, 70-200, 85 1.4 etc....

You can just buy one 77mm Polarizer and use it as needed on the different lenses.

5. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Thanks don thats a great idea, I never thought of :) 

6. Agreed. I only have 77mm filters. Every smaller lens has a step up ring. Rings run $5-15; filters (good ones) are $100+.

B+W rings have little ridges on them which makes them much easier to get on and off. Nothing like having a filter stuck on your camera when you don't want it.

I carry a piece of that rubberized cloth used to line drawers. It has saved me from stuck filers more than a few times.

7. Romeo

Romeo

May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    That a good idea. Thanks

8. Romeo

Romeo

May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    I only use B+W filters. I found no degrade in IQ at all.

9. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    So do I. If you want special effect filters(Neutral density, Polarizing), Singh Ray is superb as well as pricey

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

scrap the filter and use your hood...;-)

11. Some will say don't use a filter. It's really up to you and your shooting preferences.

But if you do use a filter, I like the B+W MRC (multi-coated) ones. Buy them cheaper from places like 2filter.com, or if you're willing to go grey-market, http://hvstar.net/ .

I also got a B+W step-up ring for my 18-200VR, preferring not to lock myself into 72mm filters. E.g. a polarizer (especially a high-quality one) is expensive, and I can re-use my 77mm polarizer on my 18-200VR, 17-55, 70-200VR, etc.

However -- there are a few considerations if you go the step-up route with the 18-200VR:

1) You'll likely get a tiny bit of vignetting at 18mm. At least that's my experience with a B+W standard 77mm MRC Circular Polarizer filter plus the 72mm-77mm step-up ring. I don't know if a thinner filter would help, but a thinner filter is also much more expensive and the B+W ones won't take snap-on lens caps (just the push-ons).

2) This weekend I had trouble getting the B+W filter off the B+W step-up ring. As mentioned above, shelf liner works wonders. I would have not gotten it off without some kind of assistance (shelf liner, filter wrench, bottom of a clean shoe, etc.).

3) You probably won't be able to use the hood that came with the lens, at least without vignetting. Truthfully, I haven't tried it myself.

4) You'll have to buy a 77mm lens cap.

5) 77mm filters are more expensive than 72mm filters. At least straight up. It's still cheaper than buying separate 72mm and 77mm Circular Polarizers.

A cost-compromise could be to only buy the CP as 77mm and use it with a step-up ring, and buy the UV filter as 72mm.

12. What do you guys use for a hood on the 18-200 with 77mm step-up filter? If nothing, what do you do about ghosting and flare?

13. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    nikon filters are the best if you feel like you must use one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.