Best Filters?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sagar, Jul 6, 2008.

  1. sagar


    Jun 29, 2008
    I recently bought 18-200 from Don at FM. And while lens is on the way, I am wondering which would be best UV and polarise filter for it?

    PS: I am not sure if this Q should be in this forum. if not please move it to right forum ;)
  2. You have various options. Some of the better brands include B+W or Nikon's own range of filters.
  3. sagar


    Jun 29, 2008
    Thanks Simon how nikon one compares to B+W
  4. Donzo98


    Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY

    I use a 72-77mm step up ring and a 77mm Hoya Super HMC on the 18-200. The wider filter prevents vignetting and the 77mm filter size is useful for other Pro glass like the 24-70, 70-200, 85 1.4 etc....

    You can just buy one 77mm Polarizer and use it as needed on the different lenses.
  5. sagar


    Jun 29, 2008
    Thanks don thats a great idea, I never thought of :)
  6. Agreed. I only have 77mm filters. Every smaller lens has a step up ring. Rings run $5-15; filters (good ones) are $100+.

    B+W rings have little ridges on them which makes them much easier to get on and off. Nothing like having a filter stuck on your camera when you don't want it.

    I carry a piece of that rubberized cloth used to line drawers. It has saved me from stuck filers more than a few times.
  7. Romeo


    May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    That a good idea. Thanks
  8. Romeo


    May 31, 2008
    TP, IL
    I only use B+W filters. I found no degrade in IQ at all.
  9. TheCommons


    Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    So do I. If you want special effect filters(Neutral density, Polarizing), Singh Ray is superb as well as pricey
  10. Nuteshack

    Nuteshack Guest

    scrap the filter and use your hood...;-)
  11. Some will say don't use a filter. It's really up to you and your shooting preferences.

    But if you do use a filter, I like the B+W MRC (multi-coated) ones. Buy them cheaper from places like, or if you're willing to go grey-market, .

    I also got a B+W step-up ring for my 18-200VR, preferring not to lock myself into 72mm filters. E.g. a polarizer (especially a high-quality one) is expensive, and I can re-use my 77mm polarizer on my 18-200VR, 17-55, 70-200VR, etc.

    However -- there are a few considerations if you go the step-up route with the 18-200VR:

    1) You'll likely get a tiny bit of vignetting at 18mm. At least that's my experience with a B+W standard 77mm MRC Circular Polarizer filter plus the 72mm-77mm step-up ring. I don't know if a thinner filter would help, but a thinner filter is also much more expensive and the B+W ones won't take snap-on lens caps (just the push-ons).

    2) This weekend I had trouble getting the B+W filter off the B+W step-up ring. As mentioned above, shelf liner works wonders. I would have not gotten it off without some kind of assistance (shelf liner, filter wrench, bottom of a clean shoe, etc.).

    3) You probably won't be able to use the hood that came with the lens, at least without vignetting. Truthfully, I haven't tried it myself.

    4) You'll have to buy a 77mm lens cap.

    5) 77mm filters are more expensive than 72mm filters. At least straight up. It's still cheaper than buying separate 72mm and 77mm Circular Polarizers.

    A cost-compromise could be to only buy the CP as 77mm and use it with a step-up ring, and buy the UV filter as 72mm.
  12. What do you guys use for a hood on the 18-200 with 77mm step-up filter? If nothing, what do you do about ghosting and flare?
  13. cotdt


    Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    nikon filters are the best if you feel like you must use one