Best Firewire 800 Raid

Okay I've got an USB2.0 500gb drive at the moment but, firstly. it's 8gb from full and secondly it's too slow for my liking.

I've been looking into a FW800 2TB Raid drive. Mostly because I would put the drive in a 1TB raid for more security and some speed gain (mostly read, write is almost the same as a single disk, JBOD or Raid 0 setup).

There are some different drives I've been looking into, mainly the WD My Book Studio II 2TB (which would set me back a small 160 euros) or a iOmega Ultramax Plus 2TB (which would set me back around 215 euros).

The pros for the WD are:
- No Fan needed
- User serviceable
- 60 euros cheaper
- 5 years warranty

The Cons are:
- Plastic casing
- "cheaper feel"
- Upright instead of horizontal position (instable??)

The Pros for the iOmega are:
- Aluminium casing
- Two status lights (each drive one)
- Stable horizontal position

The Cons:
- Cooling fan
- Not user serviceable
- 60 euros more!

I've always been a trusty user of WD drives, had them in almost every computer i ever built or bought... Hell I have a 128GB WD Silicon Blue in my MBP.

The bang for buck might be more for the WD but is there something that would make me choose otherwise?

The Status light can be replaced with a Geektool Script (which checks the SMART status of the mounted drive and displays a green sphere if it's ok). the aluminium casing can't be replaced but it's "just a drive" which will be on a static spot on the desk. I do wonder about how stable the WD is due to the upright position.

Any input from you guys? Any suggestions or tips?

my wd my book plastic ext. cases are quiet and cool and sturdy.

my wd drive have never come close to falling over.

my aluminum ext. case is noisy and hot and sturdy.

i would buy another wd in a minute even if more money.

not so for the aluminum cases.

that is wwaaayyy too full on that 500gig drive!

I know it's too full haha! But I had to send back my MBP, not even 6 weeks old!!, due to a logicboard failure (5 beeps of CPU death and a total failure shortly after)... So I had to move around some stuff.

I'm done with "small" drives and going double the size this time (1tb in raid)... Going to order the WD I guess then... Thanks!

you will not be sorry with wd.

why specifically do you need a raid?

i like 2 terabyte drives and have some 1 terabyte drives but no raids.

that is the aluminum kind that make too much noise for me.

the wd enclosure and drive is warranted for 5 years and it is very easy to open if needed.

you will not be sorry with wd.

why specifically do you need a raid?

i like 2 terabyte drives and have some 1 terabyte drives but no raids.

Because I've had a drive die on my before with important stuff on it... I always have a second back-up somewhere else too but I want to minimize the risk, thus RAID 1 (mirrored). Other forms of RAID with more drives are way to expensive.

1 or 2TB should be enough for at least a year of 2-3. At that point it's another story considering prices and technology changes in the following years.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom