1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!
  1. aravindanra

aravindanra

Jun 28, 2009
    LA
    I need Best flash for my Nikon D90.

Which one is best in this line...

SB400,SB600 or SB700

Pls help

2. bnk190

bnk190

Sep 27, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    I've been told the 400 is only a little more powerful then the built in flash. I had the SB600 which I believe was replaced by the 700. I like the fact that the 600 can rotate side to side and up and down.

Also you might want to post this in the flash section not the lens section.

3. SB600 used.
    SB700 new. A little easier to use than SB600. Both give good results. There are also non Nikon options fron Vivitar or Sigma for example.

4. nickevans

nickevans

Sep 4, 2009
    Brisbane
    A used SB-800 would be better than all of those options...

5. Best flash for what? Portraits? Wildlife? Macro work? Intent makes a big difference!

Sean

6. Which mode will you be using "A,S,P,M" ? :rolleyes: 

7. aravindanra

aravindanra

Jun 28, 2009
    LA
    I am using Auto mode and Aperture mode

Looking flash for portraits / Macro

8. aravindanra

aravindanra

Jun 28, 2009
    LA
    I need Experts help...

9. GH41

GH41

Nov 18, 2008
    HHI
    SB700 new with waranty. SB600 if you could get it used for $125 or less. I wouldn't take a chance on a used flash. GH

10. I just bought a SB 700 after carefully considering all the options. Wanted to use it mainly for casual use and fill once in a while. I think it's a good choice if you are only going to get one unit and mount it on camera most of the time. I also have the SB 400 but it's not strong enough for longer bounces and doesn't offer enough swivel options

11. I wouldn't recommend an SB-400, unless you don't have the funds for a used SB-600. It is lower power, no wireless CLS, only can bounce in one direction. After that, if you can afford an SB-700, then I think that is the best option. The interface is leagues ahead of the SB-600, the flash rotation mechanism is more solid, the included gels are great, and the build quality is top notch. The slightly reduced power of the flash over the SB-600 is worth the trade off, IMHO.

One thing to note, there is a dedicated sub-forum for flash questions, and this should probably be moved to that sub-forum. Feel free to mozy on over there and read up. Lots of folks happy to help as you learn.

12. nickevans

nickevans

Sep 4, 2009
    Brisbane
    I don't really understand this mentality... Never had a problem with my 17yr old second hand SB-26.

13. sambo.

sambo.

Mar 20, 2011
    Australia
    my $0.02:

an SB900 on an off camera synch cord, SC-17 is my one, (i've never figured out the wireless flash doohickey), a brolly and use my beat up old SB-25 as a hairlight on a slave cell.

works well enough for me.....

14. JR Magat

JR Magat

Feb 5, 2011
    US
    SB-600 used would be my pick if you're looking for just on-camera. Much more versatile than the SB-400

SB-800 used would be my pick if you're looking to do off-camera lighting in the future

15. I vote for the sb-700. It's full featured and affordable.

Shame on you, Sambo. Take 10 minutes to rtfm and you can put that short leash (sc-17) up for sale.

16. ducky518

ducky518

Feb 11, 2009
    San Francisco
    just wondering - would there be situations where the sb600 or sb400 would be a better flash than the sb700? (price not a consideration) - just curious because people were asking the purpose of the flash, i.e. portrait, macro or whatnot -

17. The SB-400 is smaller and lighter than the 700, which means you can slip it into your shirt pocket and go. It's also less conspicuous.

18. ducky518

ducky518

Feb 11, 2009
    San Francisco
    totally agree

19. And the SB600 has a wee bit higher GN...but for all practically they are about equal. I believe the SB600 is 30 and the SB700 is 28, if memory serves me right.

20. I have 3 sb600's and one 800. I would trade all three 600's for another 2 800's anyday. Actually one of the 600's went belly up, so I guess I really only have two of those in operation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.