Best friends

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Frits, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Took out my strobes and made this image of my niece and a friend, using CLS (SU-800 Commander and 2 reflected umbrellas).

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 85mm f/1.4
    original.

2. Nice picture Frits, they are cute young ladies.

3. Great capture Frits. Perfect lighting.

4. Nice. What the setup/modifiers, Frits? And is the background intentionally gray, or was it a lighting DOF issue?

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh they are Sweet.
    Very nice portrait

6. Thanks Frank!
    The background is my home theater screen in my basement :smile:. This for lack of any real BG (at this time), so I need to improvise.

I had the 2 strobes in a standard arrangement (45 deg FL and FR, head high, slightly angled down - shot into white umbrellas, reflected).

All in all, pretty simple and straightforward.

7. Very nice shot and good lighting.

However, I don't know if it's my monitor or what, the left eye of the girl on the right hand side looks soft. Looking at the meta data, you used f/7.6 and should have enough DOF.

8. Thanks!
    Looking at the original, it is fine. I did stop down to f/8 (MF lens). With the strobes and reflectors I cannot go down much more, since I want to stay at ISO 100. f/11 would have been nice...