Best in ear Headphones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shanelu87, Jul 31, 2008.

1. So I have officially broken my older pair of in-ear headphones. I'm in the market for the best for the price (within $100). It will be mainly used for the gym and walking to class. I'm classically trained as a musician, so I have done my share of the research. I'm just asking you all for any additional suggestions. The ones I've looked at so far are the Bose in ear ones, some Sony pairs, and a pair of Sennheisers.

I'm not looking for superaural or circumaural headphones; I have an awesome Grado studio pair that I don't wear out in the public very often, but it is very impressive when hooked up to a high fidelity recording.

2. I'm using Senheisser 300CX and absolutely love 'em! Fantastic quality.

3. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Another BIG vote for the Senheiser 300CX. I picked them up a few weeks ago from Newegg and will end up paying only $8 after rebates. The sound quality is just great and for the price I paid they are just superb. I would have added 'if the rebate comes through' but Newegg has always been very good about rebates so I am happy.

4. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
  5. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Actually, to my ears these beat the ety's and the Shures...

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/triplefi/triplefi10pro_description.php

I use a set specifically for the iPhone and portable amp. The only thing better is a set custom molded to your ear canals...

6. The ones that I would recommend are the Super.fi. Pro from Ultimate Ears. They are a little over your $100 budget, but well worth the money. I personally have the Tripple.fi 10 Pro, and absolutely love them.

If your are looking for a pair of buds just to go to the gym and out and about, definitely take a look at the Super.fi 5 Pro, they have really good noise isolation, and most importantly great sound.

Also, with the ultimate ears you can just change the cables when they break, which is the first thing that breaks out of every earphone set.

7. Haha, the budget just keeps on going up! Thanks for the suggestions guys, but these are too expensive! My Grado headphones weren't even 500 dollars!!

EDIT: I listen to everything, but especially am trained in classical music. any good reviews of earbuds that do mid and high tones really well?

8. dhudspith

dhudspith

Jan 7, 2006
    North Texas
  9. I got some in ear ones at the apple store, I didn't want to spend a lot, but needed them to be in ear, and seal out ambient noise, and especially on airplanes I wanted to be able to hear them. They are apple brand, and similar to their earbuds, but go into the ear, I think they were about $30. They did a good job on the airplane. (the standard IPOD ones were pretty much useless on an airplane) I think they sound pretty good, but I suppose not as good as 100 dollar ones.

10. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
  11. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    All of my iPods and mp3 players have Koss Porta-Pro headphones plugged in to them. I can't stand in-ear buds so I stick with my favorite old-school design. You can't beat them for the money. Amazon sells them cheap. They're very good with jazz and rock. High-end Sennheisers might treat you better with classical but you could buy 6 pair of Porta-Pros for what one set of Senn buds will cost you so it's worth giving them a test run.

Regards

12. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Now you're getting into very subjective opinion territory. In my opinion the Ety's (the 6i more than the 4p) are on the sterile side. The Shures are a little too "muddy" for me. The UE Triples are wonderful if you don't mind spending the money (you can find deals on Triples occasionally at Amazon), and the Supers are pretty good. I have a set of Super.fi4vi (another iPhone model that my son now uses ) and they are about to release the Super.fi5vi (iPhone). The difference in the Super and Triple is the Triple uses three armature drivers in a tuned enclosure where the Supers use two drivers in a simple enlcosure. There is apparently a pretty substantial difference in the electronics used in the crossovers.

The ABSOLUTE WORST THING YOU CAN DO is go here...

http://www.head-fi.org/

You'll find that it's almost as bad as the lens lust section here. Don't say you haven't been warned. They usually welcome you with an apology to your wallet...

13. Thanks for the advice! Nags I'm so sorry! I thought you were advertising the 4Ps'. Thanks!

14. Vinman. no thanks for that link! I'm totally immersed! LOL

15. That is so very true...I'm already looking to get my fix with a pair of custom pair of UE 10 Pros, but I end up spending the money on photo stuff every time.

I agree with vinman...the triples are just butter, and the super 5 will not disappoint you either.

As far as the 6i's... I know a couple of people that after listening to the Super 5's will just switch, and I think that the Shure are just way overpriced!

16. Thanks everyone! I have gone with the Etymotic ER-6i's.