Best internet router ?

Real Name
Randy
I need broad coverage and speed.
2story 3k sq ft house. Router is upstairs. I need coverage downstairs to run Hulu live streaming w no buffering. I’m using a booster with my Netgear router and after an hour buffering and pixelation get bad.

Is Nest the best ?

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Following, as we have thought about a Nest system, don't mind spending the money as long as it works.
Googling best router comes back w a different list for every list. Way too confusing. We have the nest thermostat and nest doorbell camera, both are good products. The doorbell camera required a subscription to get full functionality but it’s only $5 a month. The thermostat is perfect

2story 3k sq ft house. Router is upstairs. I need coverage downstairs to run Hulu live streaming w no buffering. I’m using a booster with my Netgear router and after an hour buffering and pixelation get bad.

Is Nest the best ?
I have never tried Nest.
I have cable internet 300 Mbps.
I have an Arris SBG6900-AC cable modem router with 4 Gigabit ethernet ports and dual band wifi.
It will handle speeds up to 300 Mbps.
Rather than placing signal boosters at different locations in the house I bought an Eero Mesh wifi system. It has a base unit that connects to one of the ethernet ports on the router. Then it has two other extender units that you place in certain locations throughout the house to get the best wifi coverage for all rooms. The extender units also have an ethernet port for any devices you may want to plug into it. streamimg tv or just use it as wifi. The two extender units talk to the base unit which is connected to the ethernet port. I can stream a movie at 3 different areas of the house over the eero setup. None of them skip a beat. I once tried having 4 different streaming events over the eero system from only one room and it kept up magnificently. In the location where the modem router is there are still 3 ethernet ports still available on the cable modem since the Eero system only uses one of the ethernet ports on the cable modem.. I have had a number of visitors over all using one of any of the internet options available in my home at they all are impressed at how good the system keeps up for as many people that we have in the house using the internet. This by far the very best Internet system I have ever had in my home. I have 3 tv's sometimes streaming movies on each one. 2 smart phones using the wifi. 1 Ipad and two laptop computers connected. All this and also accommodate any visitors that may want to sign on as a guest. This setup has never failed me considering all the things we have running through it. My smart heating and cooling thermostat can be changed from my smart phone from anywhere I may be as long as I have an internet connection for my smart phone.

I use powerline Ethernet in each room. No speed degradation, fully secure, cheap to buy and no set up required.
No need to change router either.
You can mix brands, mix Ethernet or Wi-fi or Ethernet and Wi-fi.
All rooms covered as it transmits data over the power circuit of the house.
Problem if using wifi extender, I believe, is that you half the speed as it transmits and receives. No such issue with powerline.

Last edited:

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Randy, I switched from various routers, mostly being happy with Apple devices, but two years ago I settled on Google's system and I love it.

Super fast, plenty of coverage, easy to set up, easy to control. No issues whatsoever with it. I use three of them, one for each level of the house, but it sounds like you could easily use just two.

I highly recommend it.

Real Name
Randy
Randy, I switched from various routers, mostly being happy with Apple devices, but two years ago I settled on Google's system and I love it.

Super fast, plenty of coverage, easy to set up, easy to control. No issues whatsoever with it. I use three of them, one for each level of the house, but it sounds like you could easily use just two.

I highly recommend it.
thanks Glenn, are yours Google Wifi or (google) Nest wifi

I think I'm gonna get 3 also so I'm sure it's fast downstairs, it's only another $80 and that way it'll push out onto the deck

Recently purchased the Linksys Velop system with four nodes. Had a problem at first with nodes dropping, but Linksys tech support helped me get them placed far enough apart. They ran tests on their end. It works perfectly now and is very good!

Is Nest the best ?
Who is your internet provider?

We have a similar sized house. The modem/router provided by Comcast XFinity seems to cover our house quite well. No trouble streaming to the TV downstairs.

Glenn's system looks like it is a mesh system just as the Eero System I use.
Glen is correct in that if you do a speed test from your router's wifi it will probably run at half your max internet speed or less. With a mesh system your get the full speed on wifi in any room.
They are great. The Nest system you mentioned also is a mesh type system. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Just make sure your router can handle the max speed of your internet service. If you have 200 Mbps service make sure your router isn't limited to a max of 100 Mbps.

Last edited:
In addition to the fact that I won't have to climb any steps or walk very far when I get too old and feeble to comfortably do so, this thread speaks volumes about an advantage of owning a small house.
Absolutely.
My wife and I downsized to a single story 16 years ago when the last of the children moved out and were on their own and the grandchildren got a little older. The best thing we ever did. No stairs to climb, easier to clean, and lower utility bills. We do still have two additional children.
One is a Chocolate Lab the other is a Chiweenie.

Randy, I finally gave up and purchased a Deco Mesh system with three access points. Best purchase ever! I have a long, meandering house with my router on one end. I've even tried a commercial grade wired access point in the center of my house without complete coverage.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/

I have the M9 plus which has been great. Each is strategically placed and now gives me coverage all over my house. Plus the system balances use among the points. I can prioritize certain users to always get the best bandwidth. Very flexible. I'm in a house now with 4 heavy users (home school high school daughter with video classes, son working his computer engineering job, my wife and I stream, etc...). No glitches and easy to set up.

Real Name
Randy
Randy, I finally gave up and purchased a Deco Mesh system with three access points. Best purchase ever! I have a long, meandering house with my router on one end. I've even tried a commercial grade wired access point in the center of my house without complete coverage.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/

I have the M9 plus which has been great. Each is strategically placed and now gives me coverage all over my house. Plus the system balances use among the points. I can prioritize certain users to always get the best bandwidth. Very flexible. I'm in a house now with 4 heavy users (home school high school daughter with video classes, son working his computer engineering job, my wife and I stream, etc...). No glitches and easy to set up.
Is your router at one end of your house ?
Why Deco ?
3 access points seems like a lot if they keep getting further away from the router

Real Name
Randy
Who is your internet provider?

We have a similar sized house. The modem/router provided by Comcast XFinity seems to cover our house quite well. No trouble streaming to the TV downstairs.
Spectrum
I don’t have a problem with Netflix just Hulu Live.
I’m doing a 1week trial yo see if we can cut the cable cord
Cable is $150 month and Hulu is $58

Is your router at one end of your house ?
Why Deco ?
3 access points seems like a lot if they keep getting further away from the router
Deco was PC magazine's top pick for mesh routers last year when I purchased. I chose them for that reason only. The app is quite good. I can see every device on my network at any time. I can also give bandwidth priority to certain devices if necessary. Not really an issue for me anymore since I now have a 500mbps broadband connection.

My cable modem is on one end of my home. I have a hardwired line to the kitchen which is in the center of my home. My first Deco mesh point is located there. I have two others spaced close to either end of my home. This provides me with complete coverage. I even have my garage doors and my sprinkler timer linked to my router now from my garage at the extreme end of my home.

Spectrum
I don’t have a problem with Netflix just Hulu Live.
I’m doing a 1week trial yo see if we can cut the cable cord
Cable is $150 month and Hulu is $58
We just cancelled our spectrum. Was $180/month for only 100mbps internet and just local cable and phone. Their price to increase my bandwidth was obscene. Basically tried to sell me a commercial plan. We switched to WOW and now spend $50/month for 500mbps and phone. So far so good. I put a digital antenna in my attic for local channels. No longer get CNN, MSNBC, etc... but my house is much more peaceful and we rarely watch.

Real Name
Randy
Deco was PC magazine's top pick for mesh routers last year when I purchased. I chose them for that reason only. The app is quite good. I can see every device on my network at any time. I can also give bandwidth priority to certain devices if necessary. Not really an issue for me anymore since I now have a 500mbps broadband connection.

My cable modem is on one end of my home. I have a hardwired line to the kitchen which is in the center of my home. My first Deco mesh point is located there. I have two others spaced close to either end of my home. This provides me with complete coverage. I even have my garage doors and my sprinkler timer linked to my router now from my garage at the extreme end of my home.
Where is the wireless router ? Or is there one ?
Are there 3 or 4 devices ? Sorry about my lack of mesh knowledge

We just cancelled our spectrum. Was $180/month for only 100mbps internet and just local cable and phone. Their price to increase my bandwidth was obscene. Basically tried to sell me a commercial plan. We switched to WOW and now spend $50/month for 500mbps and phone. So far so good. I put a digital antenna in my attic for local channels. No longer get CNN, MSNBC, etc... but my house is much more peaceful and we rarely watch.
It's surprising how much different Spectrum is simply by location.
We have Spectrum internet 300 Mbps. No phone or local cable on it. $99 per month. I use Google Voice for phone and send it through the router with an Obi box.
I'm not familiar with WOW. Is that a phone line setup like AT&T or something different?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom