Best internet router ?

Where is the wireless router ? Or is there one ?
Are there 3 or 4 devices ? Sorry about my lack of mesh knowledge
Here's a drone view of my house. No real scale here, but keep in mind that we are on one floor and over 5000sqft.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Red dot is where the outside cable enters my home. I have my cable modem there. I do not use that for wifi signal in my home. My PC workstation is hardwired to that cable modem because my office space is there.

I have a hardwired connection between my modem (red dot) and a spot in my kitchen (green dot). That green dot is my first deco mesh. The two yellow dots are my two other deco mesh points.

It's surprising how much different Spectrum is simply by location.
We have Spectrum internet 300 Mbps. No phone or local cable on it. $99 per month. I use Google Voice for phone and send it through the router with an Obi box.
I'm not familiar with WOW. Is that a phone line setup like AT&T or something different?
WOW is simply a new local broadband competitor to spectrum. I suspect they purchase bandwidth from spectrum and sell it as their own bundled package. Spectrum would increase my bandwidth but only to 300mbps. My son felt this was unacceptable. WOW offered 500mbps at an incredible price.

WOW is simply a new local broadband competitor to spectrum. I suspect they purchase bandwidth from spectrum and sell it as their own bundled package. Spectrum would increase my bandwidth but only to 300mbps. My son felt this was unacceptable. WOW offered 500mbps at an incredible price.
That is a great deal.
I went to the WOW website.
Not offered in California.
Oh well. Maybe some day.

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a drone view of my house. No real scale here, but keep in mind that we are on one floor and over 5000sqft.

View attachment 1672806

Red dot is where the outside cable enters my home. I have my cable modem there. I do not use that for wifi signal in my home. My PC workstation is hardwired to that cable modem because my office space is there.

I have a hardwired connection between my modem (red dot) and a spot in my kitchen (green dot). That green dot is my first deco mesh. The two yellow dots are my two other deco mesh points.
Thanks Mitch

Easy Powerline set up.
Master connects to router.
Slaves (which can be master if needed) in each room connect either with RJ45 for security or wifi to any device.
As it is a standard any brand will work with any other brand.
Choice of ethernet only, ethernet and wifi, with pass through or without pass through.
I have dozens of the stuff and always take some with me when I travel (ed) to ensure that any airbnb or large house can have full coverage.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I tried those powerlines. They never worked in my home. Inconsistent and I suspect one half of my house is on a completely separate electrical network than my router.

I also tried a wide variety of range extenders and commercial grade wireless routers with no success.

The only thing that has worked for me has been my mesh network. Money well spent.

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried those powerlines. They never worked in my home. Inconsistent and I suspect one half of my house is on a completely separate electrical network than my router.

I also tried a wide variety of range extenders and commercial grade wireless routers with no success.

The only thing that has worked for me has been my mesh network. Money well spent.
I'm sold and probably Tp-Link instead of Nest

Interesting, looking at some articles it looks like powerline is a lot more successful in Europe than in the US.
Could be that the issues you mentioned are common in North America.
Mesh networks would not resonate well with the anti-5G crowds. But that is a different subject.
For me though it is a security issue. I am not confident that all the weaknesses highlighted for the past years have been addressed.
As many of my devices as possible are connected by cable to the powerlines, Apple TVs, DVD players, laptops and desktops, printers.
For some it may be a good solution. https://getinternet.com/mesh-network/

the big diff seems to be all 3 tp-link components are the same whereas Nest has 1 of the 3 dedicated as the wireless router
That is a good feature.
If my eero that connects to the router goes bad the entire system is down.
With the one you selected if the router unit goes down one of the others can be used in its place.
I was looking at photos of the tp-link units and I did notice 2 ethernet ports on each unit but I didn't realize all of them could be used as the master. That was good investigation on your part Randy as that is a really great feature.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom