Best internet router ?

I have Comcast's latest XB7 Gateway which is wifi 6. It is capable of up to 2.5 GB/s download speeds. I have been very pleased with the performance so far. It is centrally located on the 2nd floor of our 3400 sq ft house, and gives good coverage on all floors, including the basement.

My hardwired iMac in the same room with the modem/router gets 920 Gb/s download and about 18 upload.

Niiiice!!!! So is that a combination modem/router? Is it something you need to rent from Comcast as opposed to being able to purchase either a combo unit or separate modem and router on your own? Over a period of time it can be less expensive to purchase one's own modem and router as opposed to renting from the ISP. Do you have a number of "clients" that are all connected to your wireless network? What kind of speeds are you getting with your devices which are wireless only? Do you notice a significant difference between, say, a device that is in the same room as the router and a device that is on another floor of the house?

In my situation because of the logistics here and the way the cabling was initially put in place in this condo unit (in the master bedroom, at the rear of the apartment), I really prefer owning my devices as opposed to renting them from Cox and I also definitely prefer having the two devices separate rather than incorporated into one combo unit so that I can position the router in an optimal place, which as it happens, is NOT in the master bedroom where the modem has to live. I spend most of my computer time out here in the main living area, not in the master bedroom. At the time the cabling was initially installed, though, wireless wasn't yet on the horizon, and back then we were all plugging our computers via an ethernet cable into the modem provided by the cable company and using the cabling provided by the cable company which was meant to work with that particular physical situation. In my case, there was a television in the master bedroom (still is) and a desktop computer. They did a split cable thing so that one cable goes to the TV and the other cable goes to the internet modem..... That was just dandy back then but now I don't have a desktop computer set up in the master bedroom any more and I don't have any of my computers connected directly via ethernet cable to the modem. Don't really need to do that and the all-wireless setup I have going on here has worked out fine for me.

Last edited:
Could be the way that in this area Cox is provisioning the new Ultimate 500 setup?
While the modems have their claims "up to XXXmbps" that's not always the case. Every modem has to be approved to be provisioned by the ISP and for specific speeds. DOCSIS 3.0 was required for Ultimate 300 whereas D2.0 modems were fine for everything under that. In order to get up to the 300mbps speeds, it needed more channels. Most 2.0 modems only come with up to 8down/4up whereas the 3.0's were up to 32/8 and 3.1's are even higher. 3.0's can do gig speeds, but not on a heavily used network which is where the 3.1 requirement comes in.

The next phase of this will be 10gbps speeds and will be on the D4.0 standard (2gbps are already in the pipe...2.5 I believe since that's what most of these newer NIC's can support).

Yeah, I was not under any illusions that once I had made the mandated plan change from 300mbps to 500mbps that suddenly everything would be whizzing right along at 500 mbps.... the wording in the modem manufacturer's and the ISP's promos provide the important key here: "up to....." So far that has indeed proven to be the case, No problem, what I am getting now (averaging around 365 -370mbps) is certainly fine and I'm not complaining. My needs are not as demanding as others' needs, since it's just me and a few clients in a smallish condo apartment as opposed to someone in a large house with a family and each family member having at least one device, if not more, plus the need to be on for work or school many hours of the day. Many people in their household have various other devices beyond just computers and smartphones attached to their modem and router, too, putting significantly more demands on the service.

I agree that yes, over the next year or two we will see even more changes and increases in speeds and all that, as WiFi 6 becomes more prevalent and also WiFi 6e comes into play as well. I am guessing that this is one factor which prompted my ISP, Cox, to make changes now in their system configuration and the services they currently offer with an eye to the future. I can imagine that, yes, along with WiFi 6e routers there will be the need for DOCSIS 4 modem devices as well in order for everything to play well together....

So, yep, I'll probably be revisiting the whole updating-the-modem-and-the-router scenario in a year or two......since even my new current equipment is not going to be compatible with what is coming down the road. Sigh.... In the meantime I'm going to enjoy what I've got now!

Last edited:
Niiiice!!!! So is that a combination modem/router? Is it something you need to rent from Comcast as opposed to being able to purchase either a combo unit or separate modem and router on your own? Over a period of time it can be less expensive to purchase one's own modem and router as opposed to renting from the ISP. Do you have a number of "clients" that are all connected to your wireless network? What kind of speeds are you getting with your devices which are wireless only? Do you notice a significant difference between, say, a device that is in the same room as the router and a device that is on another floor of the house?

I have to rent from Comcast since they also provide our "landline" VOIP phone service. The house phone line is connected to the router.

The modem serves our two iMacs through ethernet lines, and the wifi serves my MacBook pro used downstairs, our two iPhones, the "Smart TV" and occasionally an older iMac in the basement. Everything works fine.

Sorry I missed your post back on May 8.

Sounds as though you need that 1 GB service! I can see why you have to rent the modem, as it would serve several purposes, too, including that VOIP "landline" phone service. I sidestepped the whole VOIP thing by simply using a second cell phone with my landline number, which I'd had for many years, once the phone service provider -- AT&T -- informed me that they would be no longer using the old copper phone jacks and would be going digital. At the time my cable service was initially set up years ago digital phone service was not yet in use and later on when it did become available I ignored it since I was still using AT&T as my actual landline for many of those years. It all worked out in the end and I'm just as happy with the previous landline number being on a cellular data plan now......

Although I suppose it would be possible to hard-wire my primary computer via ethernet I have not done so and haven't felt the need -- but then again I am in a relatively small apartment versus a large house and that makes it easier to go all wireless.

Got my Deco X 20 a few days ago and it was up and running within and hour or so. Not sure Im a fan of the install app though. A couple of days later my new modem arrived. I just got the wifi back up and running again after two days of trying. It fought me most of the day yesterday and around 8 hours today. Now that everything is up and running I can say I really like the speed increase and wifi coverage.

That said ........ it's 5:00 somewhere. :D

Got my Deco X 20 a few days ago and it was up and running within and hour or so. Not sure Im a fan of the install app though. A couple of days later my new modem arrived. I just got the wifi back up and running again after two days of trying. It fought me most of the day yesterday and around 8 hours today. Now that everything is up and running I can say I really like the speed increase and wifi coverage.

That said ........ it's 5:00 somewhere. :D
Time doesn't mater on the weekend, or when you are retired! 🍷

My new modem (Arris Surfboard 8200) and router (AmpliFi 6) with Cox Communications Cable's Ultimate 500 plan give me about 370mbps download wirelessly and about 28-30 mbps upload. I don't have any of my machines connected/hardwired into an ethernet connection; everything is wirelessly done here. The modem and router are in two different locations. Due to the cabling, the modem is in the master bedroom and I have a long CAT 6 cable running down the hall to the living room area, where the router lives and where most of my machines spend their time, too.

I have not tried it but I would guess that if I were to plug in the CAT 6 cable to the computer (can't do that without an ethernet port adapter, though) that I would probably get closer to 500 mbps download speeds. Not interested in doing that, as what I've got is more than sufficient for my needs.

Last edited:
That's hard to believe.

Here's the output from Ookla:

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 1.33.39 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I live on top of a mountain seven miles from town in a development with minimum five acre tracts, so it is certainly not a high-density area. Most of the residents are VT faculty who demand good broadband connections.

I suspect that one reason I am not getting closer to 500mbps wirelessly is because I DO live in a high-density, highly-populated area. There are fourteen condo units in this building and everyone has some sort of internet setup, either Cox cable or FIOS. It is likely that the router also picks up any wireless activity going on outdoors as someone walks past on the boardwalk with their cell phone or iPad, or from the building which is next to mine.

In this household internet connectivity is much more important than television, so my TV plan is the very basic one while my internet plan is not the top of the tier but the next level down.... Don't have phone connectivity through the ISP so that doesn't factor in at all. So yeah, the majority of what I'm paying Cox is for my internet services. They only just recently upped the plan from 300mbps to 500mbps (the reason I had to change the modem in the first place) so I'm enjoying the faster speed but actually was perfectly content earlier as well. They assured me that there will be no change in my bill for the change, so we'll see when the next bill arrives......

I suspect that one reason I am not getting closer to 500mbps wirelessly is because I DO live in a high-density, highly-populated area. There are fourteen condo units in this building and everyone has some sort of internet setup, either Cox cable or FIOS. It is likely that the router also picks up any wireless activity going on outdoors as someone walks past on the boardwalk with their cell phone or iPad, or from the building which is next to mine.
Most good wireless devices won't allow any one client to hog all the bandwidth after about 200-300mbps so while in theory those devices can get your advertised speed you won't see it from an internet speed test. You'd need something like iPerf to get a true device and network speed.

That said if you were to test speeds at the modem you'd likely see between 500 and 520 max download due to powerboost

I think one of the benefits of using WiFi 6 is that it does a better job of sorting out traffic from other WiFi devices around the user's area....... Whatever, I do seem to be seeing an improvement beyond and above what was provided by the new modem with the AEBS router before I made the switch in routers, too......whatever, I'm happy with how things are moving more speedily along now, even though I wasn't experiencing issues previously.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom