Best internet router ?

I need Live TV more than anything. Netflix handles tv shows and movies very well.
We are using YouTube TV for our live TV. It has our local channels as well as many of the major networks and is less expensive than the cable options here. But if you are only watching local channels it would probably cost too much.

Real Name
Randy
We are using YouTube TV for our live TV. It has our local channels as well as many of the major networks and is less expensive than the cable options here. But if you are only watching local channels it would probably cost too much.
thanks Terri
I didn't know youtube did live TV, I'll check it out

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
thanks Glenn, are yours Google Wifi or (google) Nest wifi

I think I'm gonna get 3 also so I'm sure it's fast downstairs, it's only another $80 and that way it'll push out onto the deck

Just Google WiFi. I didn't do the Nest. And yes, it doesn't hurt to have the third WiFi point. Helps me get a connection on the deck as well.

Real Name
Ken St John
I also have the TP-Link Deco X20 mesh and it's working well. We have a 300mb connection through Comcast. Our 2,100 sq ft, 1960's, home has two floors, and my wife's "office" is now upstairs as is our son and his "gaming" lair. Neither one complains at all about bad internet ... even if I'm working in my office downstairs or watching online services (Netflix, etc.) on Apple TV. Have had no issues with dropped connections or streaming problems. As Mitch said, the app allow me to set priorities but the only one I have set is to our primary TV/Apple TV.

I did have to finally ditch my personal Netgear cable modem and rent one from Comcast. No functional issues at all, my personal modem was working perfectly. But we've been exceeding our 1.2TB data cap, and to move to their "unlimited" data requires a $30/month add on for using your own modem, $25/month if you use theirs. So, I switched. I just disabled the Comcast wifi router and it feeds directly into my TP-Link Deco just as my own modem did.

Ken

The only reason we still hang on to DirectV is because of the DVR capability.
We record just about everything and watch it at our convenience.
Is anything like that available with YouTube?
You can have any show saved and watch it whenever you want. It doesn't actually record on your devices. It just shows up on your library as a show you can stream later. You can save as many as you want. I don't remember for sure, but it seems like they save for up to a year. We've had it for almost two years now and think it is great. We have 5 tvs (I know that is terrible), two have apple tv boxes and three have firesticks. We can watch it on any of those. Also, it works on my computers, ipads, and phones.

Last edited:
You can have any show saved and watch it whenever you want. It doesn't actually record on your devices. It just shows up on your library as a show you can stream later. You can save as many as you want. I don't remember for sure, but it seems like they save for up to a year.

Thanks Terri.
I didn't know that.
We usually watch our programs the same week just different times of the day depending on our schedule.
Now I just need to check if they have the channels my wife watches. I'm easy. Major networks for me.

Thanks Terri.
I didn't know that.
We usually watch our programs the same week just different times of the day depending on our schedule.
Now I just need to check if they have the channels my wife watches. I'm easy. Major networks for me.
If you have a good Internet connection it might save you some money. We were so happy to ditch cable.

Hulu Live TV is our current streaming service for TV. We get all the locals, a decent amount of cable channels and DVR.

Real Name
Randy
I ordered Tp-Link's X20 for $269
It will get here just in time to save Hulu Live

Real Name
Randy
I also have the TP-Link Deco X20 mesh and it's working well. We have a 300mb connection through Comcast. Our 2,100 sq ft, 1960's, home has two floors, and my wife's "office" is now upstairs as is our son and his "gaming" lair. Neither one complains at all about bad internet ... even if I'm working in my office downstairs or watching online services (Netflix, etc.) on Apple TV. Have had no issues with dropped connections or streaming problems. As Mitch said, the app allow me to set priorities but the only one I have set is to our primary TV/Apple TV.

I did have to finally ditch my personal Netgear cable modem and rent one from Comcast. No functional issues at all, my personal modem was working perfectly. But we've been exceeding our 1.2TB data cap, and to move to their "unlimited" data requires a $30/month add on for using your own modem, $25/month if you use theirs. So, I switched. I just disabled the Comcast wifi router and it feeds directly into my TP-Link Deco just as my own modem did.

Ken
thanks Ken, I just ordered an X20

I recall seeing a device to assist powerline internet in the US. It plugs into a 220vac socket and couples the internet signal to both phases of the house.

D

Deleted member 4116

Give those tp-links a try, but if they don't work here are my recommendations:

1. AmplifiHD by Ubiquiti. Fantastic hardware and dead nuts reliable
2. Google Mesh. I prefer to stay away from Google personally but their mesh network is definitely at the top
3. Build a proper network with a good router, switch and access points.

Mesh is good, but there are obvious tradeoffs...some you will notice, some you won't. It's up to you. I, personally, wouldn't run a mesh network as I prefer a dedicated access point and access to network jacks and I want the power and scalability a proper network provides.

FWIW, my Fios contract was up. I was able to negotiate $50/month lower while moving up from 100/100mb to their gigabit service. I still have the package play and couple of their STBs. Worth it to call your provider, blame pandemic on economic issues to work a better deal.

FWIW, my Fios contract was up. I was able to negotiate $50/month lower while moving up from 100/100mb to their gigabit service.

When contracts are about to expire and rates are about to increase, my wife simply calls the company and explains that she'd like to remain a customer but to make that happen they're going to have to come up with a better price for the same or better services. It always works. Companies have a lot of pricing flexibility they don't advertise.

Latest threads

Top Bottom