Best, least expensive starter lens for my kid?

Thinking about getting my 17 y.o. a D50 and a starter lens. Was thinking of a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D AF. What's everyone's opinion on this lens choice?

it's the one lens that i can't live without, highly recommeded!! it's cheap as well. But then a 35 f2 might be even better if you're only getting one lens for your kid because i think the 50 is a bit too long on crop to be treated as a general purpose lens, although i seem to get by fine even when i'm going out with just that lens :)

Steve, if you wanted to go with a cheap zoom, how about picking up a used Nikon 18-70? Great little lens for what it costs. The 50 f/1.8 is great cheap prime to consider.

G

Gr8Tr1x

The newer 18-55mm DX II is cheap and offers some flexibility....the D50 will go along way to offering low light capabilities without a 50mm 1.8. What does your son want to shoot?

I recommend the 18-70 ..... it is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of range, quality and flexibility. I am still hanging on to mine (a very sharp copy) which came as a kit with my D70 and has given me great service so far, although now that I have the 18-200 I do not know how much longer I will hang on to it.

M

mikeyd86

I have the 50mm 1.8, and it's a great lens, but I think if I only had that lens and was starting out, I'd get very frustrated very fast.

N

Nuteshack

i got my son started on the 50 1.8 but if i had known better i would have chose the 35f2 ....;-))

Hey Steve -

I agree that the 18-70 mm is a perfect "starter" lens. It has very good sharpness and color rendition, and its zoom flexibility would provide a great experimental capability.

Even the fact that its low-light capabilities are *somewhat* limited will be very instructive. After all, we learn more from our "failures" than our successes - at least I do - LOL.

It is relatively inexpensive, quite durable and versatile, and is a very good value.

Eric

I'd have to agree with everyone else.

#1 would be the 18-70 used for $200.00
#2 would have to be the 35 F2 used for about 250.
#3 (which will be my next lens) sigma 28mm F1.8 new for $250.00

Real Name
David
18-70 kit lens from the d70. Mike Bustad has one for sale here.
When I got me son a D70s he bought me 24-120 VR from me. There is one here as well.

My son also get a 70-300 VR to with the 24-120. My father-in-law just got a D50, I got him an 18-70 to which he will also add the 70-300 or he will trade the 18-70 and just get the 18-200 if they actually become reasonable in price.

Add to either 2 lens combo a 50 1.8 and you have a really good starter set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the kind of person who can live without the wide-end so I'd say Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. They can be had between $200 - $300 used (sometimes new) and the constant wide aperature along with the zoom flexibility will offer a very good compromise between those suggesing fast primes and those suggesting 18-70mm kit lenses. Also being able to keep the shutter speed up may stave off some frustration early on if action shots are a priority.

18-70 would work well, as would the overlooked 24-85 AFS. Both can be picked up used in the $170-200 range.

The 18-55 ver. 2 is a very sharp little lens. You might be able to pick one up from someone who got one with a D40 as the D40 is only sold as a kit with that lens. I wanted the D40, but not the lens, and I sold it for $110 shipped to a Cafe member. You might even be able to go in on a new D40 kit purchase with someone seeking body only.

I'm the kind of person who can live without the wide-end so I'd say Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. They can be had between $200 - $300 used (sometimes new) and the constant wide aperature along with the zoom flexibility will offer a very good compromise between those suggesing fast primes and those suggesting 18-70mm kit lenses. Also being able to keep the shutter speed up may stave off some frustration early on if action shots are a priority.

The difference between 18mm and 28mm could be very critical and for someone just starting out, the wider range would be more beneficial than a faster constant 2.8. The 28-105 mm range provided by the 18-70 AFS is what is typically known as the 'Swiss Army Knife' range, in that it is the most useful range for all normal usages. That is just my opinion though.

Do what millions of photographers did before him and get him a 50mm equivalent prime. In Nikon crop bodies, this would be the 35mm f/2.

It's a great, fast prime that will teach him about composition, depth of field, and the importance of speed (light).

I would never recommend a VR lens to anyone that's new to photography. Giving VR to someone who doesn't have good handholding technique is going to guarantee that they NEVER learn and practice good technique.

Bill

Latest threads

Top Bottom