Best lens for greyhound racing photography

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by greyhound rick, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Hello eveyone,

I shoot greyhound races at Phoenix Greyhound Park about 3-4 nights per week.

For late afternoon schooling races with decent daylight (schooling starts at 6pm and goes for about 45 minutes to an hour), I use my 70-200mm f/2.8.

For evening racing with lighting issues, I use my 50mm f/1.8 (I rented an 85mm f/1.8 and am trying an 85mm f/1.4 Monday) because I need an aperture of 1.4, 1.8 or 2.0 if im going to be able to shoot at 1/1250-1/1600 which is where I like to be.

Which lens would you recommend for either scenario? What I need is a lens that will work in low light for fast moving subjects that require a fast shutter speed (a real challenge for me!).

thanks so much for your input!

my best,

Rick

2. Hi, Rick, and welcome to the Nikon Cafe. I read your post in the sport forum, and the sample pictures you posted were fascinating. I wish you'd present them in larger size... say 800 pixels wide... so I could enjoy the details.

Your question is complex, based on the shooting positions available to you as well as the camera you're using. Given that you find the 70-200/2.8 too slow for the evening sessions, I'm tempted to recommend the glorious 200mm f/2, but it's a pretty costly solution. On the other hand, the less expensive approach of switching from your d300 to a d700 would probably give you 2 or 3 additional f/stops of useful iso, which might make your 70-200VR an ideal choice. The only issue is that 70-200 provides less reach on an FX body, so you'd need to move closer to the subjects.

In the meantime, keep shooting, cause your images are wonderful. The low yield may be annoying, but 25% may be reasonable for your chosen niche.

3. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
  4. Thymen

Thymen

Jun 18, 2007
    The Netherlands
  5. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Rick- Are you close enough where using flash could be an option? (or allowed)

6. i bet that flash isn't allowed
    i'd be very surprised if it were

7. amazing picture
    but, one has to wonder just how many he took to get THAT perfect shot
    i bet that even Bob tolerates a 10-25% "success" rate :smile:

8. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    hey, whatever does the trick! i'm sure he just was firing at as many FPS as possible. like most sports, no?

i know NOTHING about it (or photography for that matter), but i just figured if you could contact him, he may be a good resource!

9. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    His photos are excellent. But I was thinking maybe the two could share tricks, addressing the issues in the post you've linked to. My bad!

11. They're racing buses now??? Man, with the cost of diesel these days...what an expensive pastime. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.