Best lens for shooting rooms: 10.5mm fisheye or Sigma 10-20mm

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ptchan5, May 27, 2007.

1. ptchan5

ptchan5

Apr 21, 2007
    California, USA
    Hi, seeking advice from the forum. I got a job to shoot rooms and interior features of model homes for brochure and web use. I'm thinking of using my 17-55mm to shoot all the individual features (furniture, cabinets, etc.) since it's an f2.8 and I should be able to get away without using flash to keep everything natural, assuming I shoot during the day.

But I want to start out each shooting session of a room with a shot that captures the entire room so I can give some context to the individual pictures. The widest angle lens I have is the 17-55mm and I'm thinking that I'm going to need something wider if I want to capture the whole room. I was thinking of the Sigma 10-20mm until I saw some posts with the 10.5mm fisheye distorted and corrected with image trends. What are your thoughts? Can I accomplish what I want without distortion using the Sigma 10-20mm wide open or do you feel the only way to capture what I want is through the use of a fisheye?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Edward, I appreciate your responses; they are very helpful. What I especially like is your showing shots with lots of parallel linear lines; it helps trying to decide what equipment and software will best fill needs.

Rich

4. Peter,

You might also want to pop over to this site http://photographyforrealestate.net/ and read some of the tips there.

For all of my real estate photography, I'm using my 12-24 for interiors, and the 35-70/2.8 for a lot of exteriors.

The big challenge is converging verticals, and most shots will also require some distortion adjustment (since you are shooting model homes for a brochure).

Be aware that in some jurisdictions, very limited manipulation of real estate photographs is permitted. For example, in some cases, cloning out a power line in the backyard could be considered a misrepresentation, and subject the agent/broker to significant fines.

5. ptchan5

ptchan5

Apr 21, 2007
    California, USA
    It actually was Edward's posts in another thread (pix of mexico) that I was referring to. Edward, thanks for those pictures, helps a lot!

Mark, that link was awesome! I got a lot of great information and examples of photos..especially the twilight photos.

Thank you both for the help.

6. A couple of weeks ago I shot a large art deco period house that is now a B&B. I used a Sigma 12-24 for every shot, even details. I used high and low angles, shot from corners, and fired remotes from various places. Though it was successful and the owner was pleased, the 10-20 might have been a better choice for this house. A prime would have been too restrictive. Though I prefer primes in most situations, a zoom in this circumstance offers more in camera composition possibilities.

7. ptchan5

ptchan5

Apr 21, 2007
    California, USA
    Wow. So Mike, you are suggesting taking even the closeups or specific items with only the 10-20mm, eh? I was kind of thinking that I needed to bring either a second body or take on and off the sigma each time I did a room.

8. I use the 10-20mm now for a few months. It is a great lens, but I doubt if it shows you more than the 10.5mm Nikon. Just give it a try at the shop. I just used it once inside:

DSC_0001-2.

9. The Sigma 12-24 is the most rectilinear of all the superwide teles and is my favorite of the group for a number of reasons. It also close focuses to about 11 inches so I can use it for many things. I did have an extra body with a 20/2.8 ready and 24-60/2.8 in my pocket. I wouldn't suggest that my shooting choices would work for you but they might be worth consideration.