Best Lens (for the job) Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by paradiddle, Jul 10, 2007.

1. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    I have been asked to take pictures for our childrens church. This pics will primarily be displayed on overheads in our big church. 3 screens 10 or 15 feet.

This is a morning service 9ft ceilings, fl lighting, and 4 - 6 ft by 2 ft windows facing the south - so light comes in. Sometimes they turn the lights out but not always. The room is ~ 60 ft X 80 ft. I can freely walk around the room at my will. The kids are sitting and standing on the floor. The request is for the pictures to be framed tight of 1 - 4 kids at a time. Mainly 1. I would prefer not to use a flash. Currently my 24 - 120 VR will get the type of framing I want across most of the room - but with with the kids singing, jumping, etc...I got lots of little blurs. I also want to be able to take the framed shots across the whole room.

Beyond this I mainly want to take good family shots - maybe indoor basketball - high school. I would sell my 24-120 vr if I would would not loose all my money in the trade.

Thanks for the help.

2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The AF 50/1.8 would probably handle that situation quite well. It's fast enough to take care of the motion blurs, and the slightly long focal length (on DX) would be perfect for shots of 1-4 people indoors. If you want to stand back more, the 85/1.8 would be the best option.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    With a screen of that sort, I wouldn't think there would be much image degradation if you pushed the iso a bit. Plus, if you used rear curtain synced flash, you might be able to use that bit of blur to an advantage.