1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best Nav system for the money (opinions wanted)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrewC, Sep 19, 2008.

1. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    A friend of mine picked up a TomTom which I thought was interesting, but I'd imagine theres even more bang for the buck out there... Anybody have an opinion? I'd like to stay in a moderate price range.

thanks
    -drew

2. The very best navigation system and the cheapest by far can be found here

3. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    You can get a Garmin C330 for under $100.. I had that one for years... Works flawless.. I have since upgraded to the Nuvi 350. ( It fit in my tank Bag perfectly when I had my bike..)

4. GPS Navigation is built right into my Verizon cellphone. No need to carry extra gear or chargers... just my phone.

5. Garmin......

I have the 660, which I bought about 4-5 years ago and I love it. Cost me about $700 back then, and have updated along the way. You can now get them for as little as $287 at Microsoft Cash Back web site.

It can also play images and MP3 files on it.....and has an SD slot for more memory.

If you want smaller the 360 is the ticket.....and it's much newer for about $216.

I had a Magellen and it would freeze up in the cold weather. Garmin uses flash memory so there are no moving parts.

Also I use the Friction Mount so it makes it very easy to move between two cars......

GenoP

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    i have a garmin nuvi 760. recalculation is fast, and the bluetooth works nicely. i've used in CA, LV and HI with no problems.

ricky

7. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I bought an InVion from QVC. I used it for the first time last night. The computer part of it is great, but the mount was a piece of junk and broke the first time I tried to affix it to the dashboard. I had to lay the thing on the seat last night to get where I was going. It was great as far as directions, but the voice telling me that I was exceeding the speed limit got old VERY fast :smile::smile: I'm going to look for a Garmin or TomTom, I think and hope their mounts are better made.

Carole

8. Not cheap but I have the Garmin nuvi 680...its the best! I would rethink getting a cheap nav system.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Garmin 660 and love it.

10. I use Garmin, but there's something about TomTom and having Ozzy Osbourne give you driving directions which is hard to beat. :biggrin:

11. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I also have the Garmin 660, I love it, it is awesome, the interface is great

BUT, I really HATE how Garmin has done their map upgrades, IMO tomtom has them beat here

here is what I mean - in order for me to upgrade my maps I have to pay 89.99 (IIRC)

on the other hand, some tomtom's have user updatable maps, so if IM driving and come across a closed road that tomtom doesn't know about, I can call it in and the maps will change on everyone's tomtom (that has that feature)

on the garmin I dont have that choice and I can only update my maps if I pay $90

this might not be a big deal to some, but here in St Louis a major freeway is completely closed for 2 years, but my Garmin still tells me to take it to destinations

so if I turn off route, instead of recalculating the way to go, it says "recalculating" and then proceeds to give me directions to turn around and get back on the freeway

this is a minor inconvenience for me, but if I wasn't from st louis, this would throw me for a pretty big loop if I were a traveller, b/c its not like its national news that our freeway is down (like it was in MPLS w/ the bridge last year -- which, BTW, my Garmin still told me to take :rolleyes:  )

please don't read this as critical, but I thought I would offer the downside as well...I also share the sentiments of all of the other nuvi 660 owners that have posted before me

drew - I dont know if this is relevant to you, since I obviously don't know what kind of phone you have, but if you have verizon you will have GPS with most phones and if you have an iPhone you definitely have GPS....I have sampled both back when I had verizon and now that I have the iphone and they're both good...

12. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I have a cheap Tomtom and it works fine.

My FIL has a cheap Garmin and that one drives me nuts - entering addresses is a complete disaster.

For more expensive models YMMV for both - I really think there's not that much of a difference between them - probably best to pick the cheapest one.

All of them tell you where you are and how to get to your destination - don't get blindsided with extra gadgets unless you know you need them.

13. Look at the Garmin Nuvi 255, great features for the money...don't let the $90 for upgrading the maps fool you. It's like $100 for "Real" updated maps from Tom Tom too..

14. Garmin 670 if you travel to Europe.

The update is $70.00. Here's what I got from both Amazon and Garmin Directly

15. STSinNYC

STSinNYC

Sep 15, 2008
    NY, NY
    We have the Garmin Nuvi 360, it has been fine for our needs.

16. I have an ancient Garmin (Stretpilot III) that cost me about $1000 six years ago. It's quite large and I imagine I'll soon pick up one of the new Garmin's.

17. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I've had a Tom Tom and now I have a Garmin Nuvi (can't think of the model number, but its really a nice one!).

Here's why I replaced the Tom Tom. After I had it around 3 years I tried to up grade the maps. Its a long story, but I was never sucessful. There was zero tech support. I was never able to talk to anyone, never got a reply to email request via their website (tech support). Finally I gave up and took it back to Best Buy where I had an extended warrenty. Yup, BB replaced it even though it technically was still working. Frankly, I was surprised, but happy.

I got the Garmin Nuvi and haven't looked back. It works great.

18. Or Yoda;

"At your destination... You are" :biggrin:

I liked the Tom Tom 920 so much, I bought 2 and then bought another for my oldest as a graduation gift. The starting off navigation is not always the best route to my liking, but once I start off the trip the way I choose to, it eventually adjusts. ( Although sometimes nudging me to turn around for a few miles). I like the computer voice that announces the street names. I never use the animated voices, but I do find them amusing. I have never had it be incorrect on directions. It may not always get you right to the doorstep, but you are always close enough to see the doorstep.

I like the fact that I can put in a SD card and play music or audiobooks while driving and it plays through the radio. Sometimes the high notes squelch out a bit, but I find it is the fault of the channel I have it on. I also have it mounted in a hidden compartment that I can close on the dashboard and use an external antenna that mounts on the trunk for a great signal. You would never know I had a GPS in the car.

I have a friend who is an officer in a county close to me and he tells me that the crooks look for the GPS mounts to determine if there is a GPS in the car. If they see a mount, they will break into the car, because they assume there is a GPS somewhere inside.

All in all.. I think the Tom Tom is great.

19. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    We have a Tomtom One - about 2 years old now - LOVE IT!

Totally simple and easy to use.

20. I have the Garmin Nuvi 660 and it is great. I had done quiite a bit of research before buying this one and still feel it is one of the best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.