1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best Nikon DX Format Zoom Lens (f2.8)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by quinton77, May 20, 2019.

1. quinton77

quinton77

May 20, 2019
    Hey, I've been looking for a multi-purpose lens to upgrade to, I'm tired of constantly swapping between my kit 18-55, 50mm prime and 55-200. The lenses are pretty good but I think my photography skills have surpassed my equipment and it's time for an upgrade. I've been looking for a multi-purpose lens (~24-70 or so) that's fast enough for low-light events. I've been looking on ebay but everything I've found so far was for FX bodies, so I don't know how the cropping would work out. Any suggestions? Sorry for the terrible formatting, thanks!

2. f/2.8 on DX? Get the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8. They're plentiful on the used market, and pretty affordable (I just sold mine this weekend for $400). Absolutely fantastic image quaity.

3. I had a 17-55 f2.8 when I was shooting DX and I loved it!!

4. stay away from ebay
    c/o fredmiranda.com

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. In the wide I think the only option you have that is DX native is the 17-55/2.8 in Nikon OEM.

You do have other options in Sigma (I never recommend because of my poor history with focusing issues, but include for completeness), Tamron and Tokina.

My list would be in order of preference:

Nikon - 17-55/2.8

Tamron -
    (17-50/2.8 DI II) It's good, but weakest at f/2.8, gets better even at f/3.2, they also have other zoom lenses starting at 17mm, but are FX so will be a bit bigger, but are newer designs = better optics and include VC
    TAMRON | Product Information
    Here are some samples from my Nikon D50 and Nikon D300 using the Tamron 17-50: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Tokina - I find their optics awesome, but they lack VR, so some people do not consider them. I used to have an 11-16/2.8 I used in Yellowstone and it performed phenomenally. They tend to go to the winder end - 10mm and cap out around 28mm
    APS-C
    Images I took with the 11-16/2.8 on the D500: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X

Sigma - they have a 17-50 and 17-70
    https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/standard-lenses?sigma_format=7064&sigma_mount=12003

6. First off, the "crop factor" does not come into play here, a lens of any particular focal length will produce an image with your camera covering the same area/field of view whether that lens is designed for DX or FX cameras. When the sensor size changes - DX vs FX with two different cameras - is where you will see a change in the field of view with the same focal length.

So, you can use a DX or FX lens at 24mm (for example) and get an image of the same size including the same area. The suggestions above are good ones, I too had the 17-55 Nikon and it was an impressive performer. If you do want to get the 24-70mm range at f2.8 there are no DX lenses I can think of that will give you that but you can use an FX lens if you are willing to pay more and carry around a heavier lens. If you want the focal range but are willing to give up the constant f2.8 aperture there are a number of DX lenses you can consider. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Sigma 50-100 f1.8 Art is an incredible DX zoom. (can be used on FX in 1.2 crop mode) (y)
    Out of my 15 current lenses, it's the only DX glass I own...it has no peer.

8. John Wolaver

John Wolaver

May 14, 2019
    I ordered the 70-200 f/2.8....not cheap. Do you think it is worth the $$?

• Like Like x 1
  9. For budget the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 is a sharper lens than the 17-55mm Nikon and much lighter. The Sigma 17-50mm is also a good lens.
    Another option is the Nikon 16-80mm f2.8-4 which gives a better range.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 11.50.59 AM.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10. Replytoken

Replytoken

Jan 12, 2018
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have the prior version and it is among my favorite lenses. The new version is supposed to be that much better. The only downside is that it is not a compact and has a bit of weight. Yes, you can carry it around for long periods of time and use it handheld, but that is the price for a fast telephoto.

Enjoy,

--Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.