Best of the Best - USAG Level 9 JO Championships

I had the honor to once again shoot with a great photography team this weekend led by USA Gymnastics photographer John Cheng. I was stationed to shoot the beam as I generally do for many gymnastics events, although this time I was shooting from a new location. Generally we like to shoot head on to an end of the beam, off the beam maybe by 10 degrees to one side to get a nice angle. This time around the beam was surrounded by a large American Flag, tried my hardest to get the flag in a majority of the shots and it led to a lot of sales.

Here is a selection of images out of the 18-20k shots I took. Can't say they are the best shots by me of the weekend but close, as these are the selections we choose while still on the floor. We chimp after each athlete and lock a few images per to put on our TV ad screens. That way they get on the TV's right when we upload. Also broke out my new tool a D3s for a little bit of the time as we were shooting in ISO 8000-10000 1/800th f2.8. Also did some of the scenic and group shots for USAG and feel they came out alright.

1. Outside of the DCU Center Convention Center in Worcester MA.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Sgt Daniel M. Clark performing the National Anthem with a historic intro to the anthem. Shot video of it with the D3s, here is the link for it, National Anthem

3. Judges Team Photo, not the best as there is some shadowing. Had 5 minutes to set it up, had 2 speedlights on human lightstands.

4. D700

5. D700

6. D700

7. D700

It was a great weekend, luckily close to home, as they are quite long. Still a great time documenting some extremely great athletes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
8. D700

9. D700

10. D700

11. D700

12. D3s

13. D3s

14. D3s

Hey bud,

These look amazing. You're right about the flag as it adds a really nice backdrop ... hope you managed to get a ton of sales.

Again, great stuff.

Take care,

Brent

Geoff! The Geoff-ster, Geoff-a-rama!! You even shot those at ISO8000, somewhere just short of ISO-Infinity and they still don't look it. I LOVE the team shot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys..... The team shot and the arena shot were not at 8000 as you could imaging. But everything else was. A great weekend, a little tiring but still good!! Got to photograph some great athletes!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom