Best online store to buy a Nikon 300 AFS f4?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Steve S, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Want to purchase a 300 AFS f4 (US model) in an effort to get max reach and still have something that I can occasionally carry around my neck and shoot handheld. Adding a TC14 gets me out to 420mm. Lightly used is ok too.

Where's the best place to get one? B&H has it for $1,104.95 before the $200 rebate, which would bring the price down to $904.95 before shipping. KEH doesn't have any, Roberts & Samy's are higher, and Digital Foto Club only has the Import model. Any other ideas?

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Good Morning Steve,

Many of my friends recommend buying from B&H because of their prices and their customer service ethics. I just bought two point and shoots for my daughters for XMas from B&H...flawless transaction. I have also purchased from Samys, Penn and Robert's without any snags.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    thanks Frank

Went to Penn Camera to check their price too, and they were also higher than B&H. Never heard of that outfit before, but got it bookmarked for future reference!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Steve, I aspire to become a member of Sportsshooter.com someday, so I frequent their site quite often to learn from pro sports photogs. They are a very loyal group and have certain sponsors who support the site and offer some special pricing to members. I figure that it is important to support the sponsors in return for their support of the site and shooters. I guess that's a holistic approach...but if I am ever able to become sponsored by a member of Sportsshooter.com, it is best for me to heed their recommendations and support all who make their site the "gold standard" that it is.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    They don't sell from the web yet, but I use Service Photo in Balt, MD. Their shipping fees are reasonable and prices are usually right around B&H. When you call, ask for Jack, he's their Nikon guy. Very nice to do business with. There is also Berger Bros and Cameta, I've had limited transactions with both, but everything has been smooth.

6. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

I just bought my 300mm from B&H and it was a great buying experience. I came to fill out the rebate and found I'd lost not only the receipt but the rebate form. Within a day their support people had emailed me a copy of both documents. Go with B&H I will again and again.

Be sure to buy before the rebate ends on January 15th!

Mike

7. Phone Cameta, will be tough find a better deal. 1 year demos with full 1year warranty was $749 if I remember correctly. Looks brand spaken new, and they are great to deal with. Better deal if you call directly as they will pass on the savings that they would have paid ebay for listing and selling commisison. They are a Nikon dealer.................. 300mm af-s f4 is a sweet lens for the money!!!! sharp and contrasty

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Got it fron Service Photo

Thanks Warren, although your man Jack wasn't there, I ordered it from a guy named Kyle, and it's on it's way for even a bit less than the B&H price! Same shipping too. Originally, I had web ordered it from B&H, but since they require a sig for delivery, I requested they send it to Backdoctor's office. That proved to be a giant hassle, since he was required to call a certain number they left at his office to verify all this, but he's out of town til Sun. I ended up just cancelling the B&H order.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    You're welcome Steve. Jack was there for a while, I spoke with him earlier, it just wasn't official as Thurs is his day off. Glad they could help you out. They are easy to deal with shipping wise, I have them send stuff to work or home depends on where I will be. They never give me any grief, just send it where I want it. And no worries about grey, they only sell USA. Have fun with your new toy!

10. Well, if you call Roberts Imaging in Indianapolis they will either match or beat BH prices...